Sponsored by:

Pushrod tube seals

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 09:27 AM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrod tube seals

Yeah, the engine is all rebuilt and yes the seals are new, but they leak. Of course, I mean why wouldn't they .... anyway it seems to me as though it's possible to get to the seals without removing the engine. I was going to put some silicone on the seals and then install them. Do you think I can do this without
a) removing the whole engine for the 3rd time in 6 months
b) removing the exhaust

It seems I "only" have to do the rocker assembly, and then pull the tubes out a little so I can get to the seals yes?

Thanks a bunch
Old 07-18-2003, 06:06 PM
Rouser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How you go about removing the pushrod tubes is up to you; some find lowering the engine makes it easier to get to the tubes. The most important thing is that the mating surfaces (on the tubes, the block, and heads) must be clean, Clean CLEAN; that must be emphasized.

I've had very good luck using Permatex HIGH TACK Gasket Sealant, and a friend once used their HYLOMAR HPF Gasket Dressing and Flange Sealant, both with good results.

This was all based on the fact that we used Viton seals, and we cleaned off the mating surfaces of any and ALL foreign matter; oil just LOVES to seek out any path it can find.

Quick Reply: Pushrod tube seals