Sponsored by:

914-6 clone - what is it worth

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 PM
sdrake
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 914-6 clone - what is it worth

I have a chance to buy a 914 that has been converted to a 914-6. Not a backyard job here... every converstion part is a 914-6 part # part and the engine and transaxle are out of a same year orginal 6 car. Every single thing to make it a six has been done.

So... having owed multiple 914-4s... I would say this car, being in great condition, would be worth $5k-$6k if it were still a four cylinder car.

Any thoughts on how much this car would be worth as a cloned 914-6?

thanks everyone,

Scot

Last edited by sdrake; 02-15-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without pics and actual specs.. a "6" clone, imho, can be a $8-20K car. However, in the end, its just a modified 4. Value would be dependent upon quality of build, parts, paint, and how much like a "6" you want it to be? ie, flares? large or small displacement motor? Upgraded seats? suspension? Transmission?

I know you said "stock".. but lots of "stock" 6's are no longer stock. You find instead of a 2.0L T spec motor, its got "E" pistons.. or its a 2.2L or more.. or it has larger brakes.. etc etc.

The parts alone for a proper conversion are likely still in the $5-10K range (engine mounts, motor tin, oil tank, engine, brakes, etc)

A genuine, original 6 is seemingly a $20-40K car these days.

A few years back I found a very nice 914-4 that was converted to a 6, (3.0L), SC brakes, stiffened suspension, full rotisserie to fix rust and repaint etc.. and it was going for $14K.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Without pics and actual specs.. a "6" clone, imho, can be a $8-20K car. However, in the end, its just a modified 4. Value would be dependent upon quality of build, parts, paint, and how much like a "6" you want it to be? ie, flares? large or small displacement motor? Upgraded seats? suspension? Transmission?

I know you said "stock".. but lots of "stock" 6's are no longer stock. You find instead of a 2.0L T spec motor, its got "E" pistons.. or its a 2.2L or more.. or it has larger brakes.. etc etc.

The parts alone for a proper conversion are likely still in the $5-10K range (engine mounts, motor tin, oil tank, engine, brakes, etc)

A genuine, original 6 is seemingly a $20-40K car these days.

A few years back I found a very nice 914-4 that was converted to a 6, (3.0L), SC brakes, stiffened suspension, full rotisserie to fix rust and repaint etc.. and it was going for $14K.
The bar has been raised on matching number 914-6s, one sold in the NE for $69K, then a month later, was sold in Germany for $80K, not many left..

Scott, Without pictures & more details, hard to give a true value, as Racer stated, the factory parts aren't cheap, and the Webers are unique to the "Six", the real caliper cores sell for $600-$800 a pair, yes cores (they were also used on Ferrari 308s) the tranny is slightly different from the 4 banger as well. Please post pictures..
Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 PM
racer
Drifting

Yikes Byron.. I better tell my dad to hold onto his "original owner, unrestored/non-modded" 914-6 .
Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Originally Posted by racer
Yikes Byron.. I better tell my dad to hold onto his "original owner, unrestored/non-modded" 914-6 .
Oh HELL YES!! That will be worth a mint if it is a nice car, currently restoring a matching number "Six" and as you may have seen in another thread, I just sold a very rough one. This just sold for $44K, and it isn't even perfect..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SS%3AUS%3A1123
Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 PM
sdrake
Advanced

Thanks guys. Will take pics tomorrow and post.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:57 PM
sdrake
Advanced

Default details

Here is what I know. The 4cyl car is vin # 4732912581 and a wrecked 6 cyl car was purchsed about 12 years ago and everything from that car was rebuilt to make this car a 6cyl. The 6cyl vin # is 9140430856.

The seller has the title to both the 4cyl and the 6cyl donor car along with the vin plate from both cars and he actually cut the vin number off the passenger fender of the 6cyl car... so for some reason he has this too. My guess is someone along the way was going to attempt to retag this thing as a 6.

The engine is a correct 641 2 ltr block with receipts that show that he had S pistons installed. The carbs are the right 914-6 webers and were just rebuilt after setting for about 2 years without being started. The car starts and great now.

I know it has the right oil cooler, the right guages, the right engine mount.

I has a side shift transaxle... did all 914-6s come with a tail shift?

I has headers with an odd exhaust that dumps out the back but it has a side tailpipe as well??

There is not a bit of rust anywhere on the car.

It is filthy, it has sit for a while in a bodyshop but the signal orange paint looks absolutly great from what I can tell.

Not sure about the wheels, but they don't way a damn thing... very light.

Not sure about the rotors, but I took some pics... can anyone tell me if they are the right rotors?

What could this thing be worth cleaned up and running perfect on new rubber?

thanks everyone!
Attached Images                
Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 PM
racer
Drifting

1) Original 6 would be a tailshifter.
2) Rear fenders have been flared
3) Front marker lights by the wheel opening have been shaved off.. which means body work and paint work at somepoint.
4) Muffler: Someone made a "2 out" sport muffler using an original "hot dog" style muffler. Yet, they didn't cut off the original single opening either. With S pistons, and some re-jetting of carbs, headers and open exhaust, you could eek out some extra power. Wonder what cams are in there ...
5) Wheels are "cookie cutters". Likely 6x15 but they could be 7x15 as well (since the rear is flared, maybe 7's were going on the back?)

Looks like updated oil/fuel gage and tach.

Certainly sounds like someone was going to re-tag as a "6" because thats where the cars value lies. As a 4, its worth whatever you want to pay.. as a "6", the "base price" just jumped to $10K

There were/are LOTS of 914s that got cut in half/wrecked etc and rebuilt from 2 cars so I am not really suprised.

To me the quandry is.. do you want a "real" 6 or one that has been made to look like a "6". The value of the 6 is its originality. On the otherhand, a car like this opens itself up to more mods since its already not stock.

What kind of 914 do you want to own?

- rear valance is wrong for a "6"... the hole should completely surround the single left side muffler.. the cutout above means its from a 4. Can't tell from the pic, but early 6's had "square" bumpers whereas later cars had more rounded bumpers (near the license plate )

No heat exchangers = no heat.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
sdrake
Advanced

To be honest, it's just something I was considering flipping. I don't have the room for another toy at this point ( see signature ) trying to stay married...

Didn't notice the rear fenders... I thought they looked stock.

Crawling under the car, it doens't look like it has ever had any damage. Hope to get it on a lift this weekend.

The car has definitely been painted and from the looks of what I can see around the dust, it looks like a great job.

I can check on the cams, the current owner has a ton of receipts and the folks that built the engine are a phone call away.

I can get the car for $7k, so I think I'm going to roll the dice.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 PM
racer
Drifting

If you can get it for $7.. determine what it has for motor and how much if any other rehabbing it might need (fuel tank, rubber suspension parts, brakes etc) it would seem like a profitable adventure.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Originally Posted by sdrake
To be honest, it's just something I was considering flipping. I don't have the room for another toy at this point ( see signature ) trying to stay married...

Didn't notice the rear fenders... I thought they looked stock.

Crawling under the car, it doens't look like it has ever had any damage. Hope to get it on a lift this weekend.

The car has definitely been painted and from the looks of what I can see around the dust, it looks like a great job.

I can check on the cams, the current owner has a ton of receipts and the folks that built the engine are a phone call away.

I can get the car for $7k, so I think I'm going to roll the dice.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.
You won't get hurt at $7K, and Racer said, tail shift with different linkage & solid mounts, shaving the side markers could just be something the owner wanted (I'm doing this to my 76 2.?) and you may just find that you really enjoy that car. Get all the bits & documentation. This would be a great car to enjoy, best of both worlds..Find out where the original tub is.. Odd thing is, he didn't change the dash & steering column to the Six, I did that with my GT Clone..
Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Agree with everything above- biggest dead give-away is the steering column and ignition switch. On my '71 I knew I'd be keeping it forever as it was my first car, so way back in mid 70's I got all OEM 914-6 brakes suspension pieces etc to make mine a "6" except for the engine. Even if that were possible today it would cost a fortune and I think finding OEM rear brakes is nearly impossible.
My boys want me to put a 6 in it but it runs pretty well with the modded 4 so they can do it long after I'm gone...
I had a real '71 6 and of course never should have sold it, but did wish it had a side shifter. That was never on an original 6, but luckily the linkage in the 6 didn't have as many joints in it, so it did shift better than the tail shifter 4.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hell, at $7K if you don't buy it I will! I think you could easily sell that car for $12K by just going by the pictures and if it was running right.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Rotten Robby
Racer

A reseller would offer $8.5K to $10K. In that condition, and assuming it runs, it is worth somewhere between $14K and $18K.
As conversions go, I think using original matching # 914-6 parts is meaningless. I know of one other like that. John Webster's car in Rocklin CA. I think John's car is worth far more because it is a meticulous conversion/restomod than any value brought to it by the matching number wrecked 6 he used as a donor. Cool that he has a 6 steering column yes, as most conversions don't but it doesn't make it a real 6.
To me, if you're going to do a conversion on a 4, it is better to take advantage of creative license and put a 3.2 - 3.6 in it.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:15 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

I'm sure most here read the series of articles on building that black 914-6 in Excellence. Beautiful car...

Quick Reply: 914-6 clone - what is it worth