Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 1.8 Picture/Diagram Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 1974 1.8 Picture/Diagram Needed...

Not a single one of my manuals and reference books show how the vacuum hoses at the gas tank/expansion chamber are supposed to hook up on a USA '74, or Euro, model. My car does not have charcoal cannister hoses, and I want to just hook it up as a euro car, but don't want to risk creating too much pressure in the tank/chamber. I found one picture of a euro (I assume) model, the small diameter hose that comes off the left side of the expansion chamber curves back under the chamber, but that's all the the picture shows. I have checked the PET, and it does not give enough info.

A PO has already pinched off the small hose bib at the filler neck (ramifications unknown), and the car has a hard, black, flexible plastic line that goes from the expansion tank area, through the center tunnel, and up into the engine compartment. That line is factory, because it fits with, and runs alongside, the steel fuel lines in the tunnel.

Neither end was connected to anything, and my car is smog exempt so I'm not worrying about originality. Just a euro-model like solution. Pictures, or a diagram, anyone?

Here's a photo of the pinched-off connection...and one of the overflow hose that takes spilled gasoline (during fill-ups) down to the ground.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 01-27-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Well, it looks like this issue is solved! I'm going to relocate the charcoal cannister to the engine compartment, and connect its two 13mm hose bibs to the fan shroud and air cleaner.

Then, I will connect the 5mm line in the tunnel to the top (left side) hose bib on the expansion chamber, which will assure that no raw fuel can find its way into the tunnel.

I will repair the pinched-off hose bib pictured above, and connect that to the lower (right side) hose bib on the expansion tank.

Finally, I will connect the engine compartment end of the tunnel line to the 5mm hose bib on the charcoal cannister.

Result; sealed system that vents the gas tank. No odor in the garage, no poor running. Only one thing left to solve, placement of the cannister. More later.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:16 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter,

I came across this website that has a ton of 914 resources and manuals in PDF form.

Steve

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
Old 02-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Steve! I now have a diagram, and it appears that my plan in post #2, this thread, is correct. Now I have to figure out a good location for the CC and mount it. Hook up will be easy. Next, valve adjustment, oil & filter change, diff flange seals, shift linkage, and more run time.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Amsoil 20w-50 in my 1.7 and it runs so much smoother then it did with regular oil. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: 1974 1.8 Picture/Diagram Needed...