918 at factory Museum restoration shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 918 at factory Museum restoration shop

Hi all,
I'm usually over at the 993 forum, and this is my first post here. I took these photos at the factory Museum restoration shop as I was lucky enough to be invited in past the glass to look at the cars in the shop that day. This is the first of two factory 914-8's. This one was the design asked for by Ferdinand Piëch to prove that the car could be built. It has the full race 310 hp 908 8 cylinder engine, quad headlights, wider solid bumpers, through the cowl gas fill and no rear trunk floor to help clear the mechanics and help with cooling. It was wonderful to see it all opened up like this and be able to just look at the details ...

This is Porsche's idea of how to prop up a lightweight hood ...

The other 914-8 is in the Museum. It's silver with a welded, bodycolored top that has a really small sunroof installed that slides forwards. This car was given to Ferdinand Porsche to "test" and he kept "testing" it for three years ...
Old 01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny to see this post. I was in the old museum in '97 and I have pictures of that same car when on display. They are neat as they were widend several inches over the stock 914. How did you get inside? Isn't the new building something? I have only seen it through pictures.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

I wanted to order some special models in the Museum shop and I had to work with the manager there to get them. He was showing me a prototype of a model of the 914-8 and I was remarking on the detail and he said 'want to see the real car, it's in the shop for repairs?' So, behind the glass we went .....

Is that your car in your Avatar? I love the GT flairs.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Great stuff! Have any pictures of the engine/trunk cut-outs?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat pics and story.. thanks for sharing!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Van
Great stuff! Have any pictures of the engine/trunk cut-outs?
Hi Van,
No, unfortunately and I've been kicking myself ever since that I didn't spend more time photographing this car, but there was a ClubSport prototype, a GT1 prototype, a 904 with race grime and decals, several Carrera Speedsters all with lids and doors open ... I think I went into stimulus overload.

At anyrate, the center trunk panel had been removed from shocktower to schocktower through the forward bulkhead and back to within 6-8 inches of the aft trunklatch panel. I'm sure they framed it with stiffeners. The rear bumper was widened vertically at least 5 inches and the lower valance was larger as well to hide all the goodies but if you weren't paying attention, it really looked fairly "normal" at a glance ... I would have loved to have heard the engine run, I'm sure it's loud as hell inside the car ....
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jealous!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:34 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Jealous!
I know. I felt totally unworthy of being there thinking there were many other's who knew so much more than I do, like PCA Concours Judges like you, that could have really benefitted from the experience. All I can say is, the folks I've met there are all more than willing to 'show off' their magnificent new facility if you show a real interest in what they're doing.

Quick Reply: 918 at factory Museum restoration shop