Question on value and interesting conversion project

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on value and interesting conversion project

Hi,

I've been looking at adding a 914 to my garage for the past few months. I currently have a '97 993 C4S and a '73 911T (CIS).

I looked at a '73 914 1.7 a week or so ago and had mixed feelings. The car needed a clutch, synchros, brakes (rotors and pads) tires and a few other minor things that I could see right off the top. Other than that, it started right up and ran strong. No leaks that I could see.

The body seemed to be strong, but I didn't get it up on a lift. It looked clean under the battery tray, behind the seats and floors were strong. There was some patch work in the trunk, but it didn't look extensive. As I couldn't get it on a lift I couldn't see behind the rockers or jack points, but I'm thinking they might be fairly clean too.

Seller was/is asking $6500. I figure clutch, synchros, brakes, tires, etc. will run me around $3k (don't have time or inclination to do myself). What's a fair offer? Any thoughts?

Also, as I was looking into the car, I found this 914 Corvette V8 Conversion. I think it's a bit old, but haven't seen it here on the board before.

Thanks,

John
Old 04-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

6.5k for a car that needs a clutch, transmission rebuild, tires, and more is crazy. Maybe if it was a perfect car to start with, but since it's had rust repairs, it has other issues you just haven't found yet. I would guess you should start walking away. You'll be in it for $10k plus by the time it's done.

Heck, you could buy Jay's 1.7, all original, ready to drive for $19k and have a collectible car.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:26 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
6.5k for a car that needs a clutch, transmission rebuild, tires, and more is crazy. Maybe if it was a perfect car to start with, but since it's had rust repairs, it has other issues you just haven't found yet. I would guess you should start walking away. You'll be in it for $10k plus by the time it's done.

Heck, you could buy Jay's 1.7, all original, ready to drive for $19k and have a collectible car.
Wanna lend me the additional $13k?? :-)
Old 04-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No, but by the time you make the other car a nice driver, you'll wish you spent the extra money.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
No, but by the time you make the other car a nice driver, you'll wish you spent the extra money.
Two things come immediately to mind.

1. I never said I was buying it. In fact, I wrote a post about it on my site and said specifically, that I wasn't as the owner and I couldn't agree on a fair price given the needed work. My apologies if that wasn't clear.

2. I'm not familiar with the car you mentioned earlier in the thread, and I'm sure it is very nice, but I think you can get a very nice 914 (especially a '73 1.7) in very good condition mechanically and cosmetically for a lot less than $19k.

So, I'll keep looking and would still consider the other 914 at the right price. The small patch work in the back would not be enough to drive me away. Assuming that everything looks good once on a lift, I think the car is pretty solid.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No worries. I didn't say you bought it, only that by the time you buy a car that needs *some* work, it turns into a lot of work and the savings disapear. Everyone has a different opinion of a nice car, original, restored, etc. You have to pick the car you want and buy it. Ultimately, if you get the car you want and plan on keeping it, the price differences are negligable. What's an extra couple of grand on a car that you have for 10 years and love to drive. It's not like they are making any more.

Just remember, there are problems on all 914s. The only question is if you can find them and how big.

Quick Reply: Question on value and interesting conversion project