Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Purchase from QRS Fiberglass for Porsche's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM
UncleMaz
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anyone Purchase from QRS Fiberglass for Porsche's?

Hello. Michael from the 944 section. I am working on a 1962 Fiat 600D and am looking to buy from the above ebay seller (no affiliation). They make and sell FG parts for 914's and Abarth Fiats. Prices seem very reasonable but was wondering about any personal experiences with fit, finish, etc. Thanks. Michael
Old 01-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Das86Turbo
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in any experiences too. Considering these guys for a 914. What is the weight savings? I'm rebuilding a semitube frame car and weighting fiberglass vs metal. Metal obviously durability. Fiberglass gets the crap beat out of it more easily. Not that I intend to banging fenders... :-)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 AM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fiberglass always needs to be fixed for fit and finish. Getty has the best stuff (I have used them all) except QRS. Getty is more expensive but a much higher quality piece. You can loose about 20lbs per lid by moving to fiberglass. If you gut your doors (late style) you can reduce your weights from avg. 51 lbs. down to 15 lbs and stay with a steel skin, or go with fiberglass and loose another 8 or 9 more lbs. Make sure you have a cage with side impact bars before you stick fiberglass doors on. Also if you get fiberglass bumpers you can loose a ton of weight especially if you have a later production car with the huge bumpers.

Quick Reply: Anyone Purchase from QRS Fiberglass for Porsche's?