Sponsored by:

To dip OR not to dip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:40 PM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To dip OR not to dip?

Ok, I just picked up my 914/6 project (and it's a project!) and I need to make a decision on how I am going to go about fixing all the previously done poor and incorrect body work. I have gathered a lot of new sheet metal for the car and have commited myself to correctly repairing and re-building my dream 914/6 GT conversion. So, in order to prep the shell and re-work all the poor patch and rust work I need to get the shell stripped. Thus the question:

Do I chemically dip the shell or blast it? And, if so - what type of chemical dip and if not - what type material should be used to blast?

I can tell the shell has a decent amount of filler in the front cowling and in the top rear portions of the front fender, in addition to around all four fender wells as the previous ower tried to blend in the currently mounted fiberglass flares. The floor has been replaced, the frt trunk floor needs replaced, but for the most part it is a pretty solid chassis (or at least I think it is until I get it back from the stripper)...

One last question, anybody know of any strippers (chemical or blast) in the Northeast Ohio area?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 982 Likes on 589 Posts

You have ot be very careful when blasting a car. The heat can warp panels. Dipping is a project becuase everything has to come out of the car. Also, when dipped, it disolves the heat tubes in the longitudinals.

What kind of budget aer you working with? What you are describing is probably a $50k restoration.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:19 AM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Hey Tom,
Have you looked into soda blasting? will this work for what you are doing or has anyone else used this?
If you have a place to do it, I'd consider going in with you on a small unit...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...ONTENT&path=32
Old 11-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soda blasting is the best way to go, but make sure that the one doing the work knows how or they can still warp the car. Another way to do it is to sand blast only the hard to reach areas (door jams, engine compartment etc.) and leave the big body panels like the hoods, and doors alone. They are easy to just use an air sander. Also make sure that you plug off as many holes as you can or you will have sand comming out of your car for years to come. Good Luck!

Keep it true Porsche!!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:30 PM
rudedude
1st Gear

If it gets dipped you have all the seams that will continue to leak whatever they use ie acid, neutralizer or electrolytic fluid as the never seem to dry.
I've sand blasted and you'll have sand all over but at least you can usually get most of it out if you protect the blind holes.
Have done it both ways and I'll never dip again.
Media blasting works well on outer panels but the media isn't cheap.
My $0.02
Jule
Old 11-20-2008, 01:12 AM
highboy
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! Well, I decided to buy a blast unit and give it a try myself. I don't have a lot invested in the project and figured with all the new sheet metal I have I can't go wrong. My intention is to just clean out the filler and start with a clean slate to repair the bad spots correctly. I figured I would start with soda media and work up from there. I'll let you all know how it works out...maybe even try to get some before and after shots.

thx

Quick Reply: To dip OR not to dip?