Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nov 2, Md/DC/Va "Meet & Drive" in Rockville 10-11:30am, with a twist :o)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Nov 2, Md/DC/Va "Meet & Drive" in Rockville 10-11:30am, with a twist :o)

(Crossposting from the 993 forum. If anyone lives locally, we'd love to meet you on the 2nd!)

Gents,

It was suggested at the August Meet and Drive that we have one more in November... so, if anyone's up for one last "Meet and Drive" before the weather turns seriously colder, we'll be meeting at the Rockville Starbucks (11802 Rockville Pike #A Rockville, 20852 #301-770-9096) on Nov 2 from 10-11:30am and then driving to a very moderately priced restaurant for those that would like to eat some lunch together & continue the fun. So, feel free to simply show up for the "Meet" (check out other folk's Porsches, meet the person behind the screen name, and catch up with old friends you've met before). Or you could do the "Meet and Drive", and for those that would like to add in the lunch part, here's the little "twist". You'll be picking the place to eat by your vote. If you'd like to come for lunch too, just add your vote to this thread letting me know you're coming so I can get an idea of how many people we should get a reservation for. Both places will take a reservation. Looking forward to meeting everyone again on the 2nd. I'll crosspost this on some of the other Porsche boards so we should have an eclectic group of cars.

1) Tommy Marcus Ledo Restaurant (aka The Original Ledo Pizza) 2420 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD
http://www.ledorestaurant.com/
Reviews:

07/20/2008 I like Ledo Restaurant's pizza. It is classic maverick that doesn't take directions from anyone else (think the John McCain of pizzas!). It does its own thing very boldly and for that, it's worth a shot. If you're trying Ledo's for the first time, you must go to this location, the original Tommy Marcos' Ledo Pizza because it's the only one that he/the family still oversees. First, the pizza is formed into rectangles and the "slices" are cut into little bite sized squares. I've found that kids really dig the smaller portions that seem tailored made for them. The crust is crisp on the bottom but almost pastry-like and even a bit flaky--nothing like you've every tasted before in a pizza, I would wager. The cheese is thick and abundant. This time around I shared a pepperoni pizza and the pepperoni slices were unusually thick and generous, a meaty slice dotting each square of pizza. I shared a garden salad with my friend and we both appreciated the use of romaine over iceberg. The service wasn't amazing but this is just a simple, homespun strip mall joint, so I don't think it's fair to expect Michelin style service or atmosphere. It's definitely a good place for families and college kids looking for cheap eats.

08/11/2008 As many reviewers have noted, this is indeed the original Ledo's Pizza (officially, Tommy Marcos' Ledo Restaurant), owned and run by the Marcos family and frequented by the local Terps at the University of Maryland. Apparently, this location was featured on an episode of Oprah who named it among the best pizzas in America. It's a peculiar type of pizza, if you're new to Ledo's. It's not your typical mozarella on a wheel of dough deal. Ledo's pizza is thin, rectangular, and topped with smoked provolone cheese. The actual base itself is crispy, almost flakey and offsets the sweetness of the sauce and the saltiness of the cheese perfectly. Just generally delicious. The sauce is fresh and made up of actual tomatoes and has a sweet, full bodied flavor (which is not the case with your Dominoes or Pizza Hust pies, in which the sauce is often thinned out with starch and other additives). The (whole milk) provolone adds a very different dimension to this pizza - it's salty, smokey, but also has an oddly satisfying (and addictive) fat content. Not a pizza for the health-conscious.

I find myself getting cravings for this particular pizza all the time. Luckily, the pizza served here is pretty much identical to that served at virtually every other Ledo's in the franchised chain so I don't have to drive out to Adelphi to get it. I do come here whenever I can, though, because the restaurant itself has a nice vibe about. They also serve various other pasta dishes. Usually, if I don't order that awesome pizza, I order something I haven't tried before. I have never really been dissapointed. Everything I've tried, I've enjoyed. This is a great place to bring groups of friends. The restaurant is not really romantic or conducive to quiet, soul-searching conversation so not really a good place to bring a date, however. Robert P.

06/15/2008 With some trepidation I again made a pilgrimage to the holy temple of pizza -- The Original Ledo Resteraunt [NOT one of the many chain-oids]! Afterall, nothing lasts forever. Whew!!! It was just as good as it's ever been. I *do* ask for my pizza to be made well-done, and I always order the "original"! Well...not always. One time in the 70's, I believe, I corrupted the blessed sacrament with pepperoni. FIE FIEon me!! [Pepperoni is for inferior pizzas -- that would be all the others.] I wasn't the only pilgrim there, by the way. Although I got there at 11 am when they opened, there was a couple that preceeded me through the door. How do I know this? Well, they were exclaiming this to the waitress, and I was close enough to hear -- and they expressly wanted to mention that they live near a Ledo "branch" -- but, "it's not the same," they exclaimed. This confirms my earlier review, but I've added three new pictures -- one being a shot of the very pizza I ingested in the holy of holies.

05/27/2008 Ledo style pizza will never be on Wolfgang Puck's menu - Thank Goodness for that!!! This is the one and only ORIGINAL Ledo's! No other pizza tastes the same. I really think it's the "milluns & milluns" of pizzas baking in those ovens over the years imparting the very essence of our college days into every pizza...the crust, so thin and flakey, almost like A yeasty croissant style cracker, sweet succulent tomato sauce, house wine, heavenly memories, dates, study nights, cheap eats, staring into big brown/blue/green eyes.......OH, sorry, I got caught up there for a moment.......Anyway, I have been to Ledo's franchises from Frederick to Ocean City, trust me, there's no place like home. Go to the original.

03/22/2008 Good, orange-greasy, tasty pizza baked and served on what seem to be cafeteria trays. Need I say more? (Evidently, yes.) The waits are long, so good or passable company is a must. It's best to avoid when there is a game at College Park unless you are into that (in which case, pile on!), but even then if I'm yearning for a pie (and these are worth an occasional yearn) not even a thirty minute wait will deter me; plus, there's always take out.

09/25/2007 This pizza is greasy, cheesy, and delicious, and the toppings are fresh. They make cherry coke at the bar the way it should be. Four stars because sometimes my butt hurts the next day. Don't ever go to LEDO'S the chain, just go to LEDO the restaurant. Completely different.

2) Or this place - Hard Times Cafe, Rockville, MD.
1117 Nelson St Rockville, MD 20850
http://www.hardtimes.com/locations/Rockville.asp

Reviews:
8/1/08 Good food and great prices. Monday nights are half-price burger nights- $4 for a chili-burger can't be beat. Festive casual atmosphere- great for families and group outings. Probably not the healthiest restaurant around but you've gotta die of something.

9/4/08 Hard Times is a minute from our house, so snow, wind, hurricane, etc. we can get there. I have sworn that I will only go once a month due to advancing pants muffins (or in my case, pants loaves) but wing night rolls around, and there we are, drinking an ice cold beer. Darn! The guys behind the bar are super nice and go the extra mile making sure the customer has exactly what they want (overdone fries, burger not squished, seriously medium rare). Hard Times is an old-time joint, inviting on a bitter night or after a hot ball game. We love it no matter how hard we try not to.

7/1/07 It's a great branch of this divey chain with all sorts of chili including the hard to find Cincinnati style of Chili. And while it's no Skyline, it's really good. You can even have a free sampler of all four chilis. Also the wings are great and you can get them grilled! Good beer selection with even a lager producer by Old Dominion that's OK but not spectacular. Didn't have dessert but was too full from all the wings and chili. Will definitely return for the Chill for sure.

8/20/07 As mentioned by the previous reviewer, Hard Times is the closest I've seen to Cincinnati-style chili. Again, a nice restaurant located in a strip mall (in Rockville? You're kidding!) It tends to get a little loud inside but the incredible chili makes up for it. Vegetarians, there's even a meat-free chili but watch out as it has a lot of kick. I've never had a disappointing meal here. If you're health-conscious skip Hard Times, as almost everything is smothered in cheese or chili (or both). Also a word to the wise: the texas chili is the best but is also incredibly greasy. Be sure to order it "dry" and you'll get the excellent taste without an inch of fat on the bottom of your plate.

Have a great October everyone! The next time you see me, I should have a new suspension installed and a big smile on my face. I've been driving my car with a shot, original suspension since I bought this car 5 years ago at 59K miles. I have 81K miles now and it's READY!

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 09-28-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:25 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Bump...

Here's the weather as of today for Nov 2nd
Sun
Nov 2
Partly Cloudy
55°
40°
20% of precip

Looks like it won't rain. I'll be happy!

I picked a driving course and here it is. I drove it yesterday and it's gorgeous this time of year (though isn't everywhere in this area?)

Welcome to the Nov 2nd Rennlist Meet and Drive. Lunch will be at the Hard Times Cafe in Rockville after the drive.

1) From the Starbucks take a left out of the shopping center to Rt 355 (Rockville Pike) North for 2 miles
2) Left on Wooten Pkwy go 1.8 miles
3) Left on Falls Rd for 1.9 miles
4) Right on Glen Rd for 1.4 miles
5) Left on South Glen Rd (turns into Democracy Blvd) for 2.7 miles total
6) Rt on Newbridge Drive for 1.3 miles
7) Rt on River Rd for 1.5 miles
8) Rt on Piney Meetinghouse Rd for 1.1 mile
9) Left on Glen Rd turns into Query Mill Rd for 3.5 miles total
10) Rt on Esworthy Rd for to end 1.3 miles
11) Rt on Seneca Rd (also known as Md 112) about a mile
12) Rt on Darnestown Rd (Route 28) for about ½ mile
13) Rt on Turkey Foot Rd, STAY on Turkey Foot (it turns at one point) for about 2 miles
14) Left on Travilah Rd for ½ mile and stay on Travilah Rd (it turns RIGHT!!!) For a total of about 3 miles
15) Rt on Route 28 for .5 mile
16) Rt onto West Montgomery Ave (it’s STILL RT 28) go .5 mile
17) left onto Nelson Street for about .5 mile to the restaurant on the LEFT. HARD TIMES CAFÉ 1117 NELSON STREET. Huge parking lot to park in!

Quick Reply: Nov 2, Md/DC/Va "Meet & Drive" in Rockville 10-11:30am, with a twist :o)