Sponsored by:

Kirkey Seats installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kirkey Seats installed!

I know, I know.. this thread IS useless without pics.. but they will need to wait. Finally got my 914 back from the seat install. 2 new Kirkeys, plus harness mount bars, plus 6pt harnesses. Oh, and to make entrance and more importantly exit easier, a quick release steering wheel mount. Since this is my car (no one else at home will drive it) the seats were bolted in place.. no sliders.. which means - extra headroom! I've never sat so low in a 914 before. I have at least 3-4" of headroom. Heck, I need to move my wipers a bit since they fill more of my line of vision than ever before The seat bolsters/supports feel great. Also, I didn't need to remove the door pocket or the plastic center tray between the seats AND I retained the factory belts too. mmm.. Can't wait for the season to start!
Old 03-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Can't wait to see pics! How tall are you? That is a ton of head room. I hit my head on the roof bad when I have my helmet on. - Jay
Old 03-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

How about if you take the bottom cushion out, Jay? I used to do this for autocrosses so I wouldn't slide around so much.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

I had to take the seat cushion out as well, otherwise I couldn't stay in the seat.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:01 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Can't wait to see pics! How tall are you? That is a ton of head room. I hit my head on the roof bad when I have my helmet on. - Jay

Sorry, no pics yet (stupid busy season at work )

I am about 5"11. With the stock seats, and cushion in place, I had very little headroom. I would say its been doubled by the new seats (perhaps even more, I didn't measure). They sit lower (and also have no adjustment). I used to remove the cushion in my old car for the slim extra lateral support, but found the fiberglass shell to be a bit too uncomfortable. I will do a helmet test soon. I used to have to either get in the car with it on, or lean completely over on the passenger seat, or out the drivers door for room. I don't think either of those techniques will be needed now.

Another thing I like about the seats, is they contain my legs. I used to end up locking the drivers door lock with my left knee during a DE session - due to bracing myself. There is no way my leg can get anywhere near the door now. Also lucked out and have plenty of room for the shifter (given how much movement the entire shift pattern eats up, it was a concern )

Getting into the seats is easy and to be honest, I have already learned in the 6-10 times I have climbed in and out how to do so without really needing my fancy quick disconnect steering wheel. Its not elegant, but it is still more graceful than my ability to escape from a Lotus Elise
Old 03-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good to hear. Get some pics only when you can. How are the seats on longer rides? I personally think the stock seats SUCK. My back is always killing me after getting out of the 914 on a long ride.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 PM
racer
Drifting

Well. I went on my longest rides since the seats were put in (about 15 miles ) and they felt great. However, they prompted another question/observation

With the seats mounted as low as possible, and now with my 205-50 tires, I don't think I've felt so low to any road ever before! At one poiint on the highway I thought to myself.. will anyone really see me down here

But here's the real question:

With the lower tires (205-50-15s) the car sits a bit low. I think when I drive into the garage, the underbody spoilers that direct air to the motor scrape.. what are those things made of and how are they attached?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That must be a hell of a bump!!! I believe they are rubber, I wouldn't worry to much.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

They are plastic, and held on with three little screws.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
racer
Drifting

Here's an oversized pic or two of the updated interior
Attached Images     
Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor