Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California smog rules and old cars....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default California smog rules and old cars....

I found this on the web:

"Cars older than 1975 are exempt from the california smog laws. Cars older than 1975 but newer than 1966 require smog to transfer ownership and registration to new person but not biannually. Cars older than 1966 never need to be smogged."

If this is true, then all 914's would need to be smogged before they could be registered in CA. Any Cali guys comment on how difficult this might be?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:09 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts

Either I'm clueless or that doesn't make sense- first they say anything older than '75 is exempt and then they say between '66 and '75 they require smog to transfer, whatever the hell that means??? I was going to say I'm glad I don't live in California, but then I looked outside and saw the 1" thick ice on my driveway the foot of snow in the yard, which I haven't seen since before Thanksgiving...
Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
Either I'm clueless or that doesn't make sense- first they say anything older than '75 is exempt and then they say between '66 and '75 they require smog to transfer, whatever the hell that means???
Ski,

I think the interpretation/translation is that if you own a car between '66 and '75 you don't have to get a smog check every other year (like all other cars), but you DO have to get one before you can register it as a new owner.

For many years we had a rolling smog-exemption--every year another model year was added to the exempt list. In 1997, the rule was changed and the exempt year was frozen at 1974. Much gnashing of teeth amongst owners of '75's and later cars. I had been assuming that a '73 was home free, until I found this additional bit of data.

I KNOW there are a lot of P-cars between '66 and '75 on the road here.

As you know from the other thread, I'm looking at an out-of-state '73 2.0, and I'd better get a clear answer on this before buying it.

Originally Posted by skl
I was going to say I'm glad I don't live in California, but then I looked outside and saw the 1" thick ice on my driveway the foot of snow in the yard, which I haven't seen since before Thanksgiving...
Ask me why I only return to Michigan for *short* visits, winter OR summer
Old 02-22-2008, 09:40 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stephen Porter
I found this on the web:

"Cars older than 1975 are exempt from the california smog laws. Cars older than 1975 but newer than 1966 require smog to transfer ownership and registration to new person but not biannually. Cars older than 1966 never need to be smogged."

If this is true, then all 914's would need to be smogged before they could be registered in CA. Any Cali guys comment on how difficult this might be?
This is why the Cali guys who want "street" 914s want Fuel injection.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
This is why the Cali guys who want "street" 914s want Fuel injection.
Technically speaking a 914 with caburetors would flunk CA smog at the "visual inspection." Engines must have their original induction system. 951 owners face the same problem, although it's kind of luck of the draw as far as smog inspectors being able to recognize what an original engine looks like.

Still hoping to hear from someone who has tried this and know whether a fuel-injected '73 would be able to pass the actuall EMISSIONS portion of the test??
Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 AM
951_for_John
Instructor

In Ca, pre 75 cars are EXEMPT FROM INSPECTION, not exempt from smog laws.

When I have gone in to get registration on pre 75 cars, you are not asked for a smog cert.
and do not have to go in for the bi annual inspections, SO.. one could run FI or Carbs or not run the EGR system etc.

with transfer of title on pre 75 cars no smog cert is required at the DMV.

I run a 71 Datsun PU that is not OEM and have no problems, just show proof of insurance and pay the fees and you have your tags.

newer vehicles are another story.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:53 AM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this. If you buy a car out of state and bring it into California they will inspect the car but they only care about the VIN and VIN stamps. The car I brought in was a 73 2.7 liter six conversion with weber's on it and they didn't care about the engine. Years later I bought another 1973 six conversion from a seller in California and they didn't even look at the car. Neither of the above scenarios required a smog certificate.
An issue I heard about is if the car is a 1975, it will depend on when the car was made in 1975 on whether or not it will be smog exempt. I haven't seen any details on the exact month cut off.
Buyer beware on this one!!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Rotten Robby
Racer

My 1975 914 did not require a smog check when I registered it in my name. I brought it in from Oregon where it had migrated with the original owner who bought it in California. It is an important distinction that the car is NOT exempt from smog laws. None of them are, they all must by law have the original equipment in place and operational. The 75 and earlier cars are exempt from biannual inspection only. I have never heard of anyone having to smog test a car earlier than 75 on transfer of ownership and I own three cars earlier than 75...
Old 02-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Bill Vogt
6th Gear

When I bought my '74 a few years ago I went to AAA to handle the title transfer. The girl behind the counter asked if I had a smog certificate. I told her the car was pre'74, and shouldn't need one. That was the end of that, she sent the paper work through.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:57 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

I bought a 1969 jeepster once. After getting it running I just went to the DMV to register it with title transfer. They never even asked for a certificate.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:15 PM
951_for_John
Instructor

It is an important distinction that the car is NOT exempt from smog laws. None of them are, they all must by law have the original equipment in place and operational. The 75 and earlier cars are exempt from biannual inspection only.
This is exactly right,

In the past EVERYTHING was inspected for smog equipment, but the early smog parts became harder and harder to find and where fairly worthless to begin with. The thinking is pre 75 cars number so few on the road now, and most are hobby/weekend cars the are well maintained and run well so the smog inpact is minimal.

When you bring a car in from out of state the car gets verified by a DMV inspector at registration,
but they are only looking at the V.I.N. plates to be sure it matches the paperwork you have for that vehicle.

75 was the first year for most cars to have a CAT. in CA. I believe that this is why the rolling exemtion stopped here.

As a side note, newer cars can be exemt from the smog requirement if the smaog parts are no available. I had a Cosworth Vega and was able to get tags for with no smog equipment on it.
The DMV will give you the phone number to a service that finds the missing equipment, in it's not
available the give the vehicle an exemtion. as soon as I said "Cosworth Vega" they sent me the
letter I needed for exemption.

John.
The following users liked this post:
Skotso (08-08-2023)
Old 03-01-2008, 11:52 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 956 Likes on 583 Posts

You must have the only Cosworth Vega left that isn't rusted out...
Old 03-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Nope. I know of another Cosworth Vega that the guy has tried to sell me for 3 years. No rust that I have seen.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 PM
951_for_John
Instructor

it's sold now, was a 76 5 sp, only about 800 had the 5 sp. very clean no rust.

Engine parts where a major hassle to get. nothing available from the usual places.
just NOS stuff from the Cosworth Vega club members own personal stashes...

you'd have to call somebody to see if they had a part, they would tell you no, but so and so may have
one.. then you'd call that person, and they may or may not sell you the part.

then to top it off it was only maybe 130 Hp. unless you changed pistons and cams, added Weber carbs
and changed the exhaust. at that piont you've spent more than the car's worth..... and it's still a Vega

Hmm sounds like a 951, execpt the 951 is so much better.

Don't get me wrong the Cosworth was a very cool car, lots of great engineering, lots of automotive firsts. Just not my cup of tea.

c

Quick Reply: California smog rules and old cars....