Sponsored by:

New 914- Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:44 AM
914gurl
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 914- Question

hey guys, I just got a 914 for my new toy. What kind of modifications would be fun to do?
Thanks
Carly
Old 01-29-2008, 06:00 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Put in a 3.0L 911SC engine. That will put a grin on your face.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Carly, I suppose that depends on a) what condition it's in; and b) what you intend to use the car for!

Do you have any pictures to share with us? Do you want to tell use more about the car (what engine, what year, etc)?

A 911SC engine will put a grin on your face, but also a dent in your wallet!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah, a new 914...
Pull the carpets out and clean real good
Then, lower the front...just two screw-bolts underneath and you'll be good to go.
An alignment is nice.
How about a smaller steering wheel & maybe some newer tires?
Not really much needed, now that I think about it.
Congratulations & good luck!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
Then, lower the front...just two screw-bolts underneath and you'll be good to go.
Wait! Be careful here! These bolts (they preload the torsion bars) can be used to lower the front of the car, they their real function is to aid in corner balancing.

A corner balanced car is putting an equal amount of weight across the two diagonals - i.e. the diagonal from the left rear wheel to the right front wheel is supporting the same amount of weight as the other diagonal.

If these diagonals are supporting the same amount of weight, your car will handle the best and transitions between driving straight and turning both left and right will be a dream!

If the car is not corner balanced, then you'll find it feels more stable and more willing to turn in one direction only. What happens is you get a see-sawing effect over one diagonal.

Here's another way to look at it: think about those puerto rican cars (a buick skylark will do nicely) that has the hydraulics to make the car go up and down and dance and bounce. Now, picture this car driving down the road with one front wheel lifted (I've seen this a bunch of times).

Now, when you corner, the weight of the car is transfered to the outside - if you turn left, the right side tires will have a higher loading and will be providing more grip than the inside tires.

So, back to our skylark, if the front left wheel is up in the air, the diagonal of the right front to left rear is supporting the bulk of the weight of the car. If you went to turn the car to the right, the weight would transfer, there would be a see-saw over that diagonal and finally, after a tremendous clunk, the car will tip over as the left front wheel bumps against the ground. (Now of course, the right rear wheel will be in the air - and you'll get the same see-sawing when you go to turn the other way.)

Of course, your 914 can't ever be that badly out of adjustment! But, I wouldn't recommend adjusting those UNLESS you are also corner balancing the car.

Having said all of that, I agree with slantnose, in terms of driving enjoyment, a good 4 wheel alignment AND corner balancing (with weight in the driver's seat to mimic your body weight), and a set of new tires (and maybe a set of new shocks, if they haven't been replaced recently) will make the car feel spectacular and put a smile on your face every time you drive it!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, c'mon...
She didn't say she was going to race the car.
Corner-weighing is important and nice to do (everything except my Suburban has it) but it is not essential for a street car.
What I should have said, is that you need to turn each of those bolts the "exact same amount".
This will give the car more camber, which will allow it to handle better, along with the lowering...plus it looks great.
Quick alignment will put everything back into spec, which will make the tires happy...plus good to do regardless.
Anyway, just my opinion of something fun & free to do.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
Carly, I suppose that depends on a) what condition it's in; and b) what you intend to use the car for!

Do you have any pictures to share with us? Do you want to tell use more about the car (what engine, what year, etc)?

A 911SC engine will put a grin on your face, but also a dent in your wallet!
Aw, you guys are always worrying about details like money and cost. Can't have any fun that way.
Oh wlright, you'll probably never get your money back from a proper conversion but isn't there room in her life for a few E ticket rides now and then?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ron_H
Aw, you guys are always worrying about details like money and cost.
Ha ha - doesn't the simple fact of owning a 914 predispose one to being a cheapskate?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Now look at what you've done !! I may need a psychiatrist to steady my opinion of myself.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:09 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 914gurl
hey guys, I just got a 914 for my new toy. What kind of modifications would be fun to do?
Thanks
Carly
Awesome! Anything except rust repair can be a fun modification. I upgraded my interior. Getting a tune up can be nice.. make sure you get all of the few HP you have to begin with Making sure brakes are in good order is nice too.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:12 PM
sendjonathanmail
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More supportive seats are a plus, just so your not sliding around all the time. How about a 5-lug conversion?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we need to wait for Carly to respond with some pics and more information on the car first. Welcome to RENNLIST and the 914 community. There is no going back now!

Quick Reply: New 914- Question