Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering looking at this 914...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:50 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Considering looking at this 914...

because I'm an idiot. But I can't resist.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/car/533597673.html

I've always liked them (and pretty much every p-car), but really don't need another way to spend money.

On the other hand, having a 914 and the 928 would be the ultimate Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde combo. Track the 914 and highway burn with the 928!

Heh heh...

Ok, somebody talk me out of this.

And the tall guy discussion on fitting into 914's didn't help. I'm 6'6" and I figured there would be no way in hell to fit, but of course you guys got that all figured out.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 PM
neilh
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverLateInMyNineTwoEight
On the other hand, having a 914 and the 928 would be the ultimate Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde combo.
And the tall guy discussion on fitting into 914's didn't help. I'm 6'6" and I figured there would be no way in hell to fit, but of course you guys got that all figured out.
Ed, go do it, I have a 928 and 914 - you are right on - Jekyll and Hyde - I'm also 6'1" and have no problem at all with the driving position in the 914.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, check it out.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, if the body is any good you might have something at that price! Let us know what you think.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:49 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the encouragment guys!

I've been trying not to call him as my wife will freak out if I buy another car. And I was hoping if I let it rest for a day or two, I would get over it.

But yes, if the body on this thing is in decent shape, and the rest of it is in "decent" shape, it could be a good buy, or at least, not a bad buy.

I sent him an email yesterday asking about any rust, mileage, any other repairs to be made, and more pics, but haven't heard back from him.

I may call him tomorrow and spin on by. If I do, I will of course report back.

And I think I will go by myself. if I go with a friend, I won't be able to resist and I'll be driving a 914 home in the rain - with no wipers.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:51 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, I also asked the size engine in it. I was reading up and it sounds like the '74's would have either a 1.8, or a 2.0? With most preferring the 2.0 - although I have read that you shouldn't pass on a good shape 914 just because its a 1.8.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nope, if the body is good that is all that matters! I just bought a 1.7 because the body was perfect. Do you know where to look for rust?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:31 AM
F451
Rennlist Member

Good deal! And this one is appealing to me because its not stock, and I would like a track/DE car. I wouldn't feel too guilty about further prepping this one for the track.

914's are new to me, but I've read to check out the "hell hole" where the battery is, the suspension mount under it, and the sills, besides all the usual places to look for rust on a 30+ year old car.

I'll also read about the interesting "open the doors, have someone stand on the sill on one side, and see if the door on the other side closes properly" body integrity test. Ha ha...

Any other tips would be appreciated, although I don't want you to feel that you have to repeat the usual 914 things to check since I'll try to do a bit more research tonight. -Ed
Old 01-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yeah, that is called the FAT MAN TEST. Or as I like too call it the Matt Romanowski Test (of course Matt has lost 70 pounds this year and it makes it hard for him to do this now!!!! Good luck and take lots of pics and then post them here! I think we all want to help you. - Jay
Old 01-13-2008, 10:31 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

I finally got an email back from the seller, he said:

The windshield wipers don’t work

Don’t know about the mileage

Very little rust

1.8 liter motor

Some leaks from the transmission and engine

Runs just fine, drives great, set up for autocross so it is vry firm.

No interior excpt door panels and heat exchangers removed so no heat

If you are looking for a daily driver this isn’t it

No more pics – you can look at it if you like

steve
I gave him a call today and left a message about going to see it, but never heard back.

He sure doesn't seem to be trying to hard to sell it. Ha ha...

Once again, I'll keep you guys posted if anything develops. Meanwhile I'm continuing my 914 reading. Good stuff.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The rust concerns me so make sure you go through it very well. If there is a little rust in a few places that means there is more in other. Just make sure it is solid. The engine does not matter, as that is an easy fix. Best wishes - Jay
Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Hey guys, just thought I would get back to you guys. I ended up passing on this one. I saw some more pics and from the front it looked a bit rougher then I anticipated.

I did want to thank you guys for all the great tips though! -Ed
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With any car, but esp. 914's if something doesn't feel right then walk away. Glad to hear you didn't make a costly mistake. Are you going to keep looking?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
F451
Rennlist Member

Yes, it just wasn't going easily. The owner was not returning calls, then he reposted it to CL and it showed a bit of a rough front end, so that was that.

As far as looking, no, I'm calling off the cheap track/DE car shopping. After I passed on the 914, a really cheap '79 928 5 sp came up for sale. I've been considering getting an older 928 for some time now and turning that into a track/DE car. A long term project type of thing to have fun with. Many would argue its not the best track candidate, and that's ok. I like 'em and think they make a fun track car.

Anyway, when I mentioned it to the wife, she had a, how do you say it? A fit?

Yes, that is the term. A fit.

Surprised me actually. Seems she is kinda steamed that months after buying my Volvo commuter mobile that I have not sold the pickup truck. I was supposed to sell the pickup to offset the 855R purchase cost. Plus she doesn't want another vehicle cluttering up the driveway or something like that.

Jeez, what a crouch.

Sooo, I'll be selling the truck, then seeing what I can do about rounding up a track car candidate. Although, I tell you what, that local 928 is so cheap, we'd hardly notice the purchase in the budget.

For 914's, I still want to get one. Have always really liked them. I'll get one one of these days. -Ed
Old 02-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ed,
Who cares what people say about making a 928 into a track car. I know a lot of people who are CRAZY fast on the track in a 928. Go for it!

Quick Reply: Considering looking at this 914...