Sponsored by:

remember the 75 914 I just bought,

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 04:52 PM
attyjeff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remember the 75 914 I just bought,

It leaks some oil, I have heard that a lot of these cars do BUT my question(s) are, if I want to refresh the seals and gaskets how hard it that and the $$ involved, I looked a pelican parts and there is a tech area with a good post on dropping the motor ect, seems to be not too hard, 2) IF I pay someone to do it would would be a fair price, thanks Jeff. I really want to do it myself but I am slammed at work not much time to play.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:47 PM
mike cool
3rd Gear

How much oil is it leaking, (teaspoon full or lots) and EXACTLY where is it leaking? Sometimes it can just be the valve cover gaskets and when driven, a few drops of oil can spread everywhere under the engine. Last spring I needed the same work done, offered $500 (all the money I had) and I never got a single reply from anyone. I let it leak and sold the 914 for $1500.
BTW. The test you asked before you got your 914 about letting someone sit in the 914 to check for rust in the longs is called "The Big Butt Test" by Dave Darling. It should be a tech sheet in here or on Pelican.
To Jonh in that same thread, still looking for a quality 914?
http://nashville.craigslist.org/car/483005003.html
I haven't a clue about the 914 myself and not connected with it in any manner. Just saw it on Craigslist along with 2 other 914's when I was surfing.

Last edited by mike cool; 12-05-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Hmm... an for all of these years I've been calling it "Dave's Big Butt Test"...

As for the leaks, I don't know what a fair price would be. But I just picked up a gasket set plus the crank seals from pelican. Mine dribbles a fair amount... With the way this winter is shaping up, though, I don't think I'll actually take the engine out and re-seal it until next winter. (Or maybe I'll have some free time in the spring??)
Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Dropping the drivetrain with some experience is pretty easy. After a few tries I got it down to a half hour or so. The writeup on pelican is pretty good. I've rebuilt two 914 engines with new gaskets and various other things. It's pretty easy. However there are many sources of where it can leak from, and the engine needs to come apart for a lot of them.
To name a few common ones:

Oil Cooler seals. It is possible to change these with the engine in the car, but it is a PITA.

Valve cover gaskets. These should be replaced at a valve adjustment anyway.

Pushrod Tube Seals. These leak on mine and I've tried time and time again to fix them. I can't get it right. The ones toward the rear of the car can be replaced with the engine in the car. Although it too is a PITA.

Drain Plug, Oil sump, Oil pump, Oil Filter Flange (although I don't think too common)

Anyway, it's entire possible to diassamble, reseal and assemble the engine in a weekend.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hitbyastick
Anyway, it's entire possible to diassamble, reseal and assemble the engine in a weekend.
For a normal person... With family, kids, house chores and the wife's social schedule, I manage about 30 free minutes a weekend. So it'll take me at least 3 months.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
For a normal person... With family, kids, house chores and the wife's social schedule....
What's not normal about that?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I did manage to drive my 914 onto the lift this weekend - and I even took off the engine lid.

I'm hoping to change the fuel pump and put in an MSD ignition by the end of January!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:39 PM
attyjeff
Racer

thanks guys, well first things first, I am going to spray the bottom of the engine ( clean it ) and see the spots where its leaking, then go from there.

Quick Reply: remember the 75 914 I just bought,