914/4 to 914/6 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:53 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Ron Integrated roll bar?
Its not the 916 fenders?or the tow bar out?
Door handles or bumper.?
Old 07-29-2007, 02:52 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, you got close. The flares have been reworked. Look at them closely and you'll notice the difference. Stock flares are slab sided; these are more voluptuous and softer.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:06 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It is VERY pretty and maybe worth emulating-not only that I really like the color combo. Is it yours?
I know that if I bump up the power the brakes and the suspension need to be upgraded as well. I like the hotrod option too. THe owner told me "Hell if your going to do that put a Chevy 350 in it"
but that seems sacreligous. But its obvious thats a popular thing to do.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

That car belonged to the owner of Kenesis wheels. He has since sold it. I wish he had sold it to me.

There are those who worship torque; many of them live in the USofA. Chebbies produce torque. 928s produce lots of torque too. Chebbies are cheap. 928s are not cheap. 911 based engines can produce sufficient torque to move that light body along quite nicely. As the Moody Blues once said, its a question of balance. Lots of parts around for converting to a 911 six cylinder engine. How much power does your GT3 produce from 6 small cylinders? More than enough to put that 914 into orbit methinks. I had a 2.7L 911 engine in my 914/6 with carbs and CIS cams and it was sufficiently powerful to crack my cheeks all day long......until it self destructed. Call Dave at German Parts and Restoration and ask him how much power he has in his car with a 3.2L. If you build it yourself, it shouldn't be so expensive to do and the weight is close to the same as the original 914/6 engine. Makes more sense to me to keep to known quantities, though there are certainly lots of Chebbie powered 914s around. I still think it comes down to balance, just as with other P cars. They offer a balanced package, not just earthshaking torque.
But if Chebbies are your thing, go for it. I prefer my 2.7L at a mere 240 hp. That's enough to get you in trouble....fast.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:15 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I understand the Torque Hp eqaution. having gone from a 993 TT with 400 ft/lbs to GT3
with 282ft/lbs to what ever I have now- I like hi revs more than brute force torque.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are always many Porsches for sale here and the problem is that modified cars are assumed to have been driven hard. Original cars are assumed to have been cared for.

This may not be logical but it is the market attitude. The same guys who refuse to buy your car because it is modified may them go out and spend more money doing the same changes to the car they buy but they are happy that the first owner didn't mess with it.

Sorry Old Guy but I have recent experience of two frieds selling cars and I can tell you it applies to Caymen S and 993s. Both got hit on price as they had done some mods.

I have there 914/6's in various states of decomposition. The Keeper I am fitting the sideshifter, E pistons. and a few other subtil mods to make it a better driver while looking stock. The one I plan to sell I will leave alone as it is original - matching numbers and this is where its value lies.

The third is the doner for the moment but that could change... Hmmm would the complete boxster running gear bolt in? I reckon an early boxster drive train would make the car sweet.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:03 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Irish if you mod the car correctly at least in the TT or GT3 world you can return it to stock.
But just having sold my 996 GT3 it was worth alot more than market BECAUSE of the mods.
Since the GT3 and the TT alittle bit less so are track oriented people like mods. On 914s? have no clue-
Maybe in Germany its different but
on 993's here in the states mods are + value. I am very close to the 993 crowd here they all love mods and will pay to get them-Here is a prime example on a US 993 modded worth more than a complete stocker. lets take a 98C2S its ten years old. One has PSS9's one has original dampers.
The original dampers on a 993 lasted about 10k miles so those are shot. The bilstien PSS9's are much better and they work so the PSS9 modded C2S is more valuble than the stocker. And if you
wanted to keep it completely stock take off the PSS9s and buy original shocks. Thats just one
of MANY examples of a modded 993 being worth more that a stocker. And the mod list goes on and on. I had a 97 993 TT and it was again modded alot and sold for over market because of the mods.
In a 996 GT3 the modded one with a LWFW and RS clutch is more valuable than the stock dual mass flywheel and original clutch. If you want it stock just reinstall OEM. So I dont agree with you on 993s 993 TTs, GT3's or TTs. Maybe in Europe its different.
A cayman again I havent a clue. Now if youre talking about a 73 911 coupe I can see the original one being worth more than a modded one. But for the 993 993TT and GT cars mods are good here in the US, and increase value especially if done tastefully. My 996 GT3 was modded to the gills and went for $15K over market.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_H
If you want to see an unusually beautiful conversion, check out this car. There is one aspect of this car that is contributing to its visual impact. It took me a year to notice it after seeing it the first time. Look closely and maybe you'll notice it also. The owner finally pointed our what it was and it then became obvious. If I am not mistaken it has a 3.2L engine and the crummy original seats are replaced by Koenigs which just fit perfectly.
-No side marker lights.

Car looks ok I guess if you like that "cartoon" look on a 914.

What hp does the engine produce?
What is the torque?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

I honestly don't know the hp and torque figures, but it had a 3.2L so I suspect it was "enough". It truly is much more elegant in person.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Actually that was the point of the 993 my friend sold recently, he had fitted PSS9, lightened the flywheel a little and fitted the turbo brakes. All done well and no corners cut. The car was sweet. but the market just didn't buy it. While a good original 993 can get 40k Euro here he had to accept 30k as after he described the car honestly the callers didn't even come to view.

914's here are a little different as there are many seriously disturbed cars. I looked at one once and noticed some under floor metal was just not there - he also had made his own inner sills and left out the heating pipes when he welded up the sills. The only real way to protect yourself from these bad cars is to insist on originality or professionaly restored cars.

Caymen are plentiful here (probably too many) so any non-standard doesn't seem to help the value.

The only real modificationthat adds value here is when you pay Alois to put the RUF stamp on it. Some of the other known tuners don't lose you value but they don't really add any either.

Then again, why would anyone mod a TT?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:38 PM
racer
Drifting

With mods, it really becomes an "age" thing. The older the car, the more an "original" example will be worth. Cars in that 10-15 year old range are old enough to be considered for their mods, because it is thought the mods will keep the performance equal to the "new" car, which is likely what a buyer wants, but can't afford. I think as cars hit 20 years old, you notice original parts get harder to find and original examples harder to find. Who can't find a '70 914-4 that came with a FI 1.7 but instead has a carbed 2.0l or some such mod. But a 996 with a bunch of mods? it is not viewed as a bad thing.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:57 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Racer your right the older it gets the more original you would like it.
Irish I guess your 993 market it weaker than ours. A 993 with PSS9s LWFW
etc etc in SoCal (which probably has a more educated buyer thus the knowledge about
the proper mods-probably more porsches here per capita than anywhere)
will get more money that a stock one. I guess we have to agree to disagree.
I guess you have never owned a TT? The are easy to mod for more HP. Plus
given the fact they need some stuff to become track worthy makes them ideal
mod candidates. There are more companies that make mods for TTs probably that any
other aftermarket business. So somebody is Modding their TTs. One of the best TT Mod
guys is from the UK. Plus the US model takes some mods to make it a proper Euro TT as it was designed.

Now that I think about it - The US is mod crazy because the US DOT ruins our
Porsches and we have to mod them to make them *EURO fied* plus more POWER!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:35 AM
Mark Cummins
AutoX

I Did a 914-4 to a 914-6 Conversion using all NOS OE Porsche parts
The hardest item was the firewall/center mount ..Removed the old firewall and installed the 914-6 fire wall .LOTS of labor to weld it in!
I Used a 2.7 CIS with headwork/Euro 90mm P/Cs and early 911T cams/Euro Fuel Dist.Headers/side shift trans w/ soild mounts .Then Upgraded the complete front end to late 911 So the brakes would be ok for a couple of hard stops..Flared the fenders to clear 7s all around (Old School BBS)

I Would recommend a 3.0 or 3.2 as the 2.7 7r case is a POS oil leaking stud pulling case shifting pile of JUNK!
The Stock trans is also a weak link...after two broken mainshafts then a couple c.v. cages .Go for a 915 box with 930 CVs!..and a front oil cooler is recommended as they tend to run hot with a stock engine mounted cooler.

When it was finished it was a blast to drive as It handles like a slot car!

Good Luck With Your Conversion!
Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

My car had a front oil cooler but it broke off on a curb. Bad mounting place. Now it has an auxiliary cooler located in the passenger side wheel well just in front of the wheel and behind the door. I have louvered the right side rocker panel but turned the louvers the other way to catch air. The problem is routing the oil lines without cutting the body. If I was converting a 914/4, I would route them through the inner fender/engine compartment just under the battery tray and save lots of headaches and worry.

My 2.7L case has been shuffle pinned, align bored, inserted, boattailed, and lots of other stuff done I can't even remember. It all cost around $1800 to make it worth not putting on a bonfire. If you look carefully, you can find a good engine for that or a little more and just drive it away. And I can't expect to sell it for what is in it unless someone simply has to have a 2.7 case. I'm stuck with it. Do a 3.0L. All the above goes away.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 AM
82-T/A
Racer

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
when selling a 914/6 (or any Porsche for that matter) one of the first questions is...

"is it original?"

More and more people are refusing modified cars unless they are done to almost concours level. It is very unlikely that you will modify a car to everyone's particular satisfaction.

So if you do it - plan to keep it.

I completely agree with this, unless of course the car you're starting out with is basically a stripped shell. I've seen quite a few rust-free 914s sell on eBay for very cheap (about ~$1,000 bucks). If the car doesn't have much value anyway, and clearly needs to have everything replaced ANYWAY, then it's not such a bad way to start.

There are many people who want the performance / look of the real thing, but not the fear / worry of driving an original. Kind of like Pontiac GTO or a Buick GS, or any of those other Muscle cars of the 60s. People want the look and performance, but not the cost.

Like Irish said, if you're going to do it, you'll want to do it right. People don't want problems, so the cleaner the build you can make, the more it will be worth.

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 VW Beetle Convt. (Wife's)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1984 Porsche 944
1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 455
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Quick Reply: 914/4 to 914/6 conversion