Sponsored by:

Convert to carbs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 10:01 PM
bfulton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Convert to carbs?

The more I learn about the L Jetronic, the less I find out. It seems to be an almost discarded system.
So, I'm thinking about sticking on carbs. Any advice. And who's got 'em? Pelican doesn't. Performance has two sets, Weber 40's ($$) and a dual single barrel set up ($).
I am not yet convinced that I failed on the FI... but it's pretty discouraging.
I KNOW a lot of others have done this... any tips?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-21-2002, 12:10 AM
david914
Advanced

Question

It depends on what you intend to do with the car. If you're going to build up the engine in search of more horsepower, then carbs are a good way to go. If the car is going to be relatively stock (daily driver, pleasure cruiser, etc.) then stick with the fuel injection. It's not that bad if you take your time with it. Get a good manual if you don't already have one. Of course, ask alot of questions here too! BTW, if you have to have carbs, also check into Dellortos. I don't have personal experience with them, but I understand their idle circuit makes for better driveability than the Weber IDF's. In case you're wondering, I use Weber 40 IDF's on my 914.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:20 PM
jom8
5th Gear

Do a search on the net for bosch l-jet fuel injection. I found a site that had a complete vw service manual for l-jet. The manual i got off the net was much better than the haynes manual or the bosch fuel injection book that is out there.
on my 1.8 i had to replace some wires in the fi harness that were fried or just had too much resistance. i also had to replace the brain and the fuel pressure regulator. (luckily i had a parts car for the brain). I also upgraded to a pertronix optical ignition and coil and a k&n air filter. I relocated the fuel pump up front.Now the set up is pretty reliable. make sure the brain box is well sealed. also check the fuel pressure if i remember correctly around 32 psi is normal. to check the cold start valve bypass it and pump the gas when you start it if it runs better it could be the cold start. check the injectors while cranking if they all squirt too much it is probably a brain problem. also make sure all vaccum and fuel lines are in good shape. put hose clamps everywhere.
good luck
jom8
73 914 W/ 75 1.8 l-jet motor

Quick Reply: Convert to carbs?