Sponsored by:

1970 Horn Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 08:23 PM
rmdsolutions
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1970 Horn Issues

Hello All, My horn seems to have a mind of its own and its mind is working overtime. Which one of the fuses is for the horn and will it take away from anything important or do you have a better idea for me any help would be great not to fun driving around a car with the horn going off . Thanks Charles
Old 12-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the horn go off when you are turning the steering wheel?

You can take off the center part of the steering wheel and with a counter clockwise twist, I believe, and tighten any loose screws that you find or simply disconnect it from there.

I had issues and it was some loose screws in the steering wheel under the horn button.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Joe Ricard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The horn is activated by enabling a ground on the brown/white wire that travels up through the steering column. the wire attches to the spring contact and then the brass ring on the steering wheel contacts as the button is pushed.

So basically find where the ground is coming from
Old 12-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Bill Vogt
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can remove the relay from the fuse panel under the dash. There are several on the panel, and their locations seem to very car to car, so just start pulling until the horn won't work.
Do you have an aftermarket steering wheel? I have a Momo, and the brass horn contact ring on the adapter broke and was making contact whenever the wheel was turned. I got a new contact ring from the local VW shop.
Good luck
Old 12-26-2006, 10:26 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 389 Posts

Might also check the rubber "spring" thingy. (Looks like a wide flattened cup under the horn lever.) Could be partially collapsed, causing contact. Cheap and easy to replace.

Might also get a Haynes 914 manual- ~$30. A tremendous resource without having to shell out big bucks for the Workshop Manual. Lots of good pictures and directions.

-Jim

Quick Reply: 1970 Horn Issues