Inspecting car, is this rust??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 02:26 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Inspecting car, is this rust??

Can someone tell me if this picture is a rust hole? It is located under the car near the battery box on the right site of a 73 914. Battery box is rusted, but still in one piece.

If so, how difficult is it to fix? The rest of the car is as good as the pictures show. Minor rust in unprotected areas. (dents and so on).

sorry for the poor picture quality.
Thanks
DanD
Old 06-19-2002, 11:40 AM
agentblr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

ok Help me out here is the first pic of the frame rail??? If so it looks like maybe where the jack post should have been.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:54 AM
agentblr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

OK OK I see it now,it's the bottom of the motor mount.To answer your question:NO there should be nothing but solid metal.That whole piece is spot welded to the inside of the frame rail and its no fun to remove.That right side engine mount is a convenient bowl to catch the spilled acid from your battery (ask anyone on this forum how they know)!!!!Sooooo depending on how bad it is ,I guess you could patch it but remeber that your hanging a 300 lb engine from it.One more note,if the acid and corrosion has eaten through that mount which is two pieces of metal sandwiched together,the frame sheetmetal behind it is probably in need of help.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:04 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unfortunatly, I don't know.
But, looking at the 2nd picture, kinda tells where the first picture is located. You can see the fuel line (or whatever line it is) in both pictures. It looks to be somewhat near the jack point.
Hope this helps. We may be buying this car today.
DanD
Old 06-19-2002, 03:14 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi DanD,

The first picture appears to be the underside of the car where the engine cross-mount bar is mounted in. Yes - that is rust that has eaten away at the edge - at that piece should tie into the suspension console. Where you *want* a picture - is slightly above that where the console ties into the longitudinal - as most often, when the battery got wet - acid would drip down into the engine shelf - through the metal "over: the longitudinal - then take out the right suspension console. What happens is when this fails - the right rear of the car will lose it's suspension pick-up.

Here is my site from rebuilding mine - and you can see what I mean by looking at some of the pics...

<a href="http://www.wgss.com/914/" target="_blank">JD's 914 Rebuild</a>

Hope this helps!
Old 06-19-2002, 11:54 PM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks agentblr for the suggestions on where to look. Gee, even John D. answered my post. I feel special.

We looked the car over real close, and didn't see any rust. Andrew was taking video and when we got home and reviewed it, that's when we thought we might have missed something. We looked it over again today REAL good and there is no significant rust in those area. So... we bought it.

See my other post on the adventures of new ownership.

Quick Reply: Inspecting car, is this rust??