? on Cabin Room and Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 06:22 AM
abduln
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ? on Cabin Room and Engine Swap

Hello all,

I have a friend who really wants to build up a 914. He wants to do a 914 V8 conversion, don't worry he is going to start with a stripped car rather than sacraficing a good 914. He has been consulting with me about this potential project but there are a few things I don't know so I thought I would ping the group here.

1: My buddy is 6'4", is he going to have problems fitting into a 914?

2: Does anybody know how hard it is to work on a V8 while it's stuffed into a 914?

Thank you in advance and regards,
Abdul
Old 04-17-2002, 06:23 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to suggest <a href="http://www.renegadehybrids.com." target="_blank">www.renegadehybrids.com.</a>
I don't know about the height. I''m 6'0" with no problems. Hope the website helps.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:44 PM
abduln
Instructor

Thank you. If he buys a conversion kit, RH is his first pick. He is a machinist and he might roll his own kit if he has the time. There is definitely a convinience in just buying a kit though; why reinvent the wheel

Thank you,
Abdul
Old 04-20-2002, 03:23 AM
BryanMD
Track Day

1. Your friend will fit if no roll bars or cage are added. I am 6'4" and fit well enough once in (I have 34" inseam). A friend had a 914 with street cage and seat which no longer went back fully by about 1.5" and it was not comfortable enough I would want to tour in it, but the SC engine made it tolerable for around town. I raced another friend's car 914/6 with a Recaro seat as far back and as low as possible but the curvature of that seat did not fit the car to my taste, my helmet was pinned on the roof with zero clearance. I am building a 914/6 racer now which I feel I can get into with an inch or two helmet clearance, but it won't be easy.

2. The only V8 conversion I have closely inspected was easy enough to service. It was a Chev 350 with rams horn manifolds and the OE transmission. The car had very few conversion miles on it but I suspect the trans would not last long and would highly recommend a 915 minimum, G50 preferably, or 930 if You can give up a gear.
Old 04-20-2002, 04:21 AM
abduln
Instructor

Thank you Bryan,

I appreciate the info on fitment. I suppose it will be important enough to find replacement seats with a "thin" back to provide as much room as possible.

As for the transmission, it's G50 all the way

By the way gentlemen I found this cool 914 V8 during a Google search, I hope it's not old news:

<a href="http://www.v8914.com" target="_blank">www.v8914.com</a>

Thanks,
Abdul

Quick Reply: ? on Cabin Room and Engine Swap