Sponsored by:

914-6 Popping and Missing

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 12:36 PM
cdn914
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 914-6 Popping and Missing

I have a completely stock 914-6 with a persistent problem - popping from the tailpipe and missing intermittently. I have changed every ignition component including the ignition switch and distributor, and even the carburetors but the exact same problem persists. I have substituted four CDS units and the problem is exactly the same with all four. However, none of the four CD units is new. All emit a hum with the ignition on and the car does run. How would I know if the
problem is the CD unit? Can they be tested and if so, how? Do they completely fail (car will not run at all), or can an intermittent problem be caused by a bad CD (or in this case four bad CD units)?
Is there a better alternative to the CD ignition? Any and all suggestions very welcome.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CD's usually fail completely, but will work again after they cool, the won't usually cause a poor running condition, rather a no run condition, usually when you have a white shirt and a tie on, outside of a nice resturaunt.
It sounds like clogged idle jets to me, more than anything else. They could be clogged on both sets of carbs, the jostling of installation could free up some dirt in the system. Try slowly loosening the idle jets, one by one, and see if the cylinder picks up and runs a little better as you let more fuel flow to the cylinder. If one or two do get better, you may have found your problem. Just pull all of the idle jets and blow them out. Often, they will clog repeatedly, so you may need to clean them several times.

Quick Reply: 914-6 Popping and Missing