Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler "flap" question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 11:54 PM
Brian W
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Cooler "flap" question

I've just installed a new oil temp sensor and gauge, and oh #$%&, does my engine run hot. I saw it reach 260 at a DE event last weekend! While investagating I noticed that the bar that controls the air flap to the oil cooler does not move. I just removed the sheet metal covering the flap, and the dam thing is rivited down. It looks like it's rivited closed, but I'm not sure. I've included a picture of the flap in it's rivited position. Can anyone tell me if it's in the correct position to cool my engine? Thanks,

Brian

73' 914 2.0 "Too Hot to Handle"

Old 10-26-2001, 09:12 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

The part is correct your cable from the thermostat seems missadjustet or brocken and the stop on the left side seems missing plus the axle has poped up as the shroued got removed, this maybe leads to shuting the flap more tehn usefull and as you see the acctuator link just ploped over so it is blocked.
If you move the crossbar back it will flip back over the "dead" point and work again.

However this is the correct fail proof position for maxiumum cooling yet it will prolong the heat up cycle and you can have resulting trouble as the EFI maybe leans to fast for the still cold engine.

Grüsse http://www.pelicanparts.com/ultimate...ML/004138.html
Old 10-27-2001, 02:12 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Cool

I found with my 73 2.0 that it liked to quickly shoot up to 270+ on the HOT (sometimes 100+ degs F) tracks here in So Cal, even when the car was freshly tuned and running perfectly.

I think you'll soon want to add an external oil cooler to get rid of more heat.

I added a huge Earl's cooler and Mocal sandwich plate w/ thermostat. The car usually stays down around 230 now at the track and 180-210 on the street. I also switched to Mobil 1 so that even if it does hit 250 or so, oil breakdown won't be a problem.

Next step is that I'm switching to a header setup to get rid of the stock exhaust & muffler that traps a lot of heat in all that sheet metal.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:36 PM
Brian W
5th Gear

I've determined that the flap is in the "Cooling" position. I also discovered that I'm missing 2 or 3 of the fins from my fan. I'll replace that one day, but for the short term I'm installing a external oil cooler.

Brian
Tempe, AZ
73' 914
Old 11-01-2001, 09:57 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Those fan blades brake when people use a screwdriver to rotate the engine to TDC.

The simplest way to add a cooler is by using a thermostatcoupler between the oilfilter and the oilfilterhousing.

Surf the web as some 914 owners have descriped several solutions.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler "flap" question