Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Porsche 914 Owner with some ?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 11:40 PM
pepe1220
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Porsche 914 Owner with some ?????

Hello All!!
I have just recently purchased a 1973 914 1.7L Porsche. I have a few questions that you
members here might be able to help me with. First af all this 914 has been neglected
(sad isn't it!) and is in need of some TLC and tuning up. What should be my first concern? I figured a tune up (plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, coil, oil change, air filter change), now what else should I be doing along with all those other things? Next I have a question about the general running of the 1.7 L, when I'm going down the road and mash on the accelerator pedal after about half way down the engine just falls flat on its face?? Like its not getting the gas or something , please help me out. Any one with tips please help. I also plan to post detailed pics of the car so I can get some ideas there to? Until then I await much needed help??
THANKS
Old 08-22-2001, 08:41 AM
Joe R
Racer

Guess we need to know if it is FI or CARBS. Assuming FI then there are several things First I would replace the Fuel filter. Next look fro vaccum leaks (I am sure there are going to be some if the car needs attention). Then I would check fuel pressure and delivery rate, control pressure. Would you have a Fuel/air ratio gauge installed? it makes tuning way more accurate. P.S. I got no stars yet.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:34 PM
pepe1220
2nd Gear

Exclamation

Sorry about that, it is all original FI, also my pressure sensor (attached the the passenger side of motor compartment under battery doesn't have a hose going to it, so what hose goes to it from where?
THANKS
Old 08-22-2001, 09:18 PM
Ed Morrow
Intermediate

The pressure sensor hose connects to the intake air distributor (the black housing between the intake runners). Look for the fitting on the right side towards the rear of the housing. It may be directly below a larger fitting and hidden from view.
To reply to your original post: Your first concern on a car that has been neglected should be safety. Brakes, suspension and rust would be at the top of my list.

Quick Reply: New Porsche 914 Owner with some ?????