Sponsored by:

Carbs vs. fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 02:12 PM
Joe R
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Carbs vs. fuel injection

After looking at several 914-4 I see they have been switched to carbs. What is the deal with that. Has this varient of fuel injection really that troublesome. my 78 928 seems very well designed. Does this conversion depreciate the car? How much. What is the standard carb replacement Weber 44 IDF? Is there any HP gain?
Old 08-17-2001, 06:12 AM
toman
Track Day

Well, I have heard that the carbs will not work well on an otherwise stock motor. I have dual weber 40s on mine, but I also have a big bore kit, cam, etc. I have driven cars both ways, and I think that set up like mine is, the carb'd motor is more fun to drive. I know my 1.7 (originally) is faster than 2.0s I've driven.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:06 AM
DERSIX
Advanced

Joe,
I have a nice clean '74 2 liter with factory injection which runs great. I think the carburated versions are a tad faster but the injection is instant start which I like. Lets be realistic any of the stock 914s are not that fast to begin with so I prefer to go with the easy start and smooth running of the factory injection.
Pete
Old 08-17-2001, 05:57 PM
Rob Quarles
AutoX

Now that 914's have (finally!) picked up some steam as a "collectible" car, originality is a bigger issue.
Back in the "dark ages" (10-20 yrs. ago) FI wasn't common at all and many non factory mechanics bemoaned the " *&^%$#% FI junk "! FI parts were hard to find used and new parts were $$$$$. The "hot ticket" (read: cheap way out) was to install the 2bbl Holley carb kits. (My old mechanic is probably sitting on gold mine of "trade ins" from these "conversions"). The Holleys are not easy to tune, the runners are too long, the stock cam doesn't have enough overlap, the gas mileage suffers terribly, harder to start, etc.

The 2 best running / fastest 914's I've owned (I've had about 14 or so) were FI 2.0's. One of 'em ran dead even with an '80's Vette up to 70 MPH (another LOOONG story from my foolish younger days...)

Quick Reply: Carbs vs. fuel injection