Sponsored by:

Funky valve pinging noises!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 10:59 PM
vinceinhiding
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Funky valve pinging noises!!!

I have a 1970 1.7l with a single carb setup (I dont know who added it but its an ugly holley carb). The engine runs okay.. as long as its cold. After about 15 mins of mild street driving, or about 10 mins of freeway driving, the enging makes an bad pinging sound and looses power dramaticly. The engine timing is fine, the oil flow is plenty good, there is an external oil cooler installed and working, mild oil leaks from the valve cover. I am using 50w oil, which i noticed was a little bit over the level it should be.

Since I dont have a temperature gauge, I dont know if the engine is getting real hot, but it sure sounds like it is.

What should fix, where should i look??

Thanks for reading my troubles.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:00 PM
vinceinhiding
AutoX

Question

Quick question.... Who does good tranny rebuilds in So Cal? Should I spend more than $1,000 if only first gear is bad?
Old 08-10-2001, 08:24 AM
DERSIX
Advanced

You should not have to spend $1000 if all the gears are bad..just go buy a used one for $600. What is wrong with first gear? Is it missing completely or just hard to get in gear?
Pete
Old 08-10-2001, 01:46 PM
vinceinhiding
AutoX

Question

The first gear works if the car is on stands, but as soon as the weight of the car is on the gear, it pops out. As it is, you really have to force it in and suffer the ugly grinding sounds.

2nd - 5th, and reverse work great, only, Now I am having problems with shifting from 3rd to 4th after using the reverse gear. The problem is instead of 4th comming up, it goes back 2nd. The only way to get around it is to wiggle the shifter a bit, so its probably linkage.

My fear is that if I buy a used one, that it might be as bad as this one. A local mechanic offered me a used one for $300, and when I asked him how it works, he says he doesnt know.

Any suggestions about my engine problem??

Quick Reply: Funky valve pinging noises!!!