Sponsored by:

23mm Master Cylindar upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 12:07 PM
magistro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 23mm Master Cylindar upgrade???

I'm in the process of upgrading my master cylindar to a 23mm of M-Benz type in my 914 race car (Boxster Calipers front & rear). It appears that the actuating rod at the brake pedal is approximately 20mm short. Does this rod/plunger have this much adjustment? If not, has anybody come up with fix to make new larger master cyl. work??? Thank you.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:51 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

IFIK you can use the 901/902 part.

You also will have problems fiting the MBZ as the unit is a bit longer and colide with the steering rack carrier.

Grüsse
Old 01-14-2002, 02:35 PM
SS 6
Track Day

Phil,
I put a 23mm (Benz/ATE)in my '76 last summer, here's what I learned: Yep, you need a longer pushrod for the '23, because the cylinder construction is a little different. You are also going to have a little fun hooking up the reservoir lines, 'cuz the cylinder is longer than the '17 or '19, and the tap is much closer to the steering rack. And yes, the fit is tight. Not to worry, though, here are the work-arounds: get yerself a longer pushrod. Also, get the little right-angle reservoir tap doodads so you can route your reservoir line(s) without sawing off the drivers side of the steering rack . Oh yeah, you'll need new reservoir hoses. The clearance issue can be resolved by putting in the bump-steer spacers for steering rack, which will move the rack up slightly and give you the smidgen (and no more) of room you need (I assume you wanted to lower the car anyway). While I was in the neighborhood, I put turbo tie-rods in there too, making noticeably tighter steering.

One caveat on the clearance thing, my front susp. is from a Carrera, thus has an aluminum crossmember, and it (just) fits without any hacks. Don't know if the orig 914 tubular crossmember will have an issue, but kinda doubt it.

If you need a source for these parts, I got my stuff from Patrick MotorSports. Jim Patrick is a very helpful guy, his prices are on average more reasonable than Pelican et al, and he stocks a WHOLE lot more stuff than his website advertises. My 914-6 conversion would still be a garagefull of loose parts without his counsel. Good luck!

PS - you mentioned Boxster calipers; what's holding them up, are they "bolt-on"? Vented rotors or "slabs"? Need any mods to make them work? Are they stronger than classic 911 calipers?
Old 01-15-2002, 11:56 AM
magistro
Advanced

Thanks for the heads up.
Boxster calipers (non S) front & rear. Carrera rotors in front, 911 T vented rotors in rear. Adapters for calipers were purchased from posting here on Rennlist. Parts were CNC anodized 6061 T6 very nice. Supplier for adapters email is CB911RACER@aol.com.

Originally posted by John Eckl:
<STRONG>Phil,
I put a 23mm (Benz/ATE)in my '76 last summer, here's what I learned: Yep, you need a longer pushrod for the '23, because the cylinder construction is a little different. You are also going to have a little fun hooking up the reservoir lines, 'cuz the cylinder is longer than the '17 or '19, and the tap is much closer to the steering rack. And yes, the fit is tight. Not to worry, though, here are the work-arounds: get yerself a longer pushrod. Also, get the little right-angle reservoir tap doodads so you can route your reservoir line(s) without sawing off the drivers side of the steering rack . Oh yeah, you'll need new reservoir hoses. The clearance issue can be resolved by putting in the bump-steer spacers for steering rack, which will move the rack up slightly and give you the smidgen (and no more) of room you need (I assume you wanted to lower the car anyway). While I was in the neighborhood, I put turbo tie-rods in there too, making noticeably tighter steering.

One caveat on the clearance thing, my front susp. is from a Carrera, thus has an aluminum crossmember, and it (just) fits without any hacks. Don't know if the orig 914 tubular crossmember will have an issue, but kinda doubt it.

If you need a source for these parts, I got my stuff from Patrick MotorSports. Jim Patrick is a very helpful guy, his prices are on average more reasonable than Pelican et al, and he stocks a WHOLE lot more stuff than his website advertises. My 914-6 conversion would still be a garagefull of loose parts without his counsel. Good luck!

PS - you mentioned Boxster calipers; what's holding them up, are they "bolt-on"? Vented rotors or "slabs"? Need any mods to make them work? Are they stronger than classic 911 calipers?</STRONG>

Quick Reply: 23mm Master Cylindar upgrade???