Sponsored by:

Roll cage

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 02:43 AM
JPIII
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Roll cage

A couple guys on the 914 email list were interested in seeing some pictures of the Autopower roll cage I put in my car.

The roof fits and all the various latches are accessable.

Old 01-12-2002, 07:09 PM
Ed Morrow
Intermediate

Question

Your cage looks great! How do all the interior pieces fit? Looks like the speaker grilles don't make it. Did it add any noticeable stiffness to the car? Anything about the cage that's a real PIA? Any tips for those considering something similar?
Old 01-13-2002, 09:53 PM
JPIII
Advanced

First, some more current pics would be useful. I get to fuss with my camera.......

I realize that this is not for everyone.

This is an Autopower kit.
Installation was a PITA. The cage comes as a kit with a roll bar and a bunch of pre-bent tubing. Instructions are minimal......a sketch of a VW rabbit with a gage in it.....no, I'm not kidding.

I did several mods to the layout, but didn't have to get any more tubing. I also left out a couple of pieces: the diagonal brace across the roll hoop and the diagonal brace from the top of the hoop to the floor. If I was goin' racin', I would install these.
The flexibility of the 914 chassis is greatly reduced....that was the main thing I was after. More tubes to the suspension towers would improve this. Again, this is racecar territory and I'm not ready for that.....yet. I also didn't like the way they mounted the verticle tubing to the longs. Did a few mods there, also.
The shipping weight of the kit was 110 lbs.
I prolly used 70-80 lbs of them.

Getting in and out of the car is tough on an old guy

Quick Reply: Roll cage