Sponsored by:

Parking brake adjustment on 74 914

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 03:45 AM
Steve D.
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Parking brake adjustment on 74 914

Looking in my Haynes manual for the parking brake adjustment shows a setup that doesn't look anything like the simple setup on my 74. The manual shows an in-line adjuster that shortens or lengthens the cableand is located on the engine side of the firewall. On the 74 the cables just go into the firewall and there is no adjuster inside, just the equalizer. Is there any way to adjust the parking brake on a 74 or is this done by adjusting the calipers?
Old 07-10-2001, 07:45 AM
Ed Morrow
Intermediate

My 74 is set-up exactly as shown in Haynes. Did you check under the rubber boots on the cable? They are not shown in the picture in Haynes. Be sure to set the clearance on the calipers first.
Old 07-30-2001, 03:16 PM
Rob Quarles
AutoX

The 914 rear calipers require manual adjustment (aka "venting clearance"), unlike the front caliper which adjust themselves automatically. Be sure to adjust BOTH pads, not just the outside one. The inner one requires a long 3/8" extension / allen combo to reach through the hole in the trailing arm. You'll also have to remove a "plug" covering the access hole. Sometimes the plug is missing or stripped or has been replaced by one that is a hex instead of an allen head. An inspection mirror helps, as does having a junk rear caliper off the car for reference.

Quick Reply: Parking brake adjustment on 74 914