Sponsored by:

Time for a road trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Joe R
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Time for a road trip

Started thinking about taking the Boys cool blue teener on a trip from Mississippi to Milwaukee Wisconsin in September. We will drive straight through trading off duties at the wheel.
2.0L Webber 40IDF's, Web 86B cam dual valve springs, Port & polish, balanced, new seals,
New 2.0L FUCHS new tires. New clutch,

What gauges do you think I need? Have head temp, looking at oil pressure and air:fuel.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:06 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

ammeter and voltage maybe?
And you have to keep us posted about the drive.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Joe R
Racer

Well I figure if the headlights are bright the volts are good. Probably here the belt go, since it what 6 inches behind my head?

Will of course do a valve adjust with new valve cover gaskets. Fresh oil change, including the transaxle.

Parts to include spare belt, valve cover gaskets a couple push rod seals. fuses, a length of wire, multi-meter W/electrical prints, carb jets. some extra motor-oil. Standard Porsche tool kit: 15MM, 13MM, 10MM, plug wrench, pliers, screw drivers, DUCT TAPE.

GEESH, I think I better get started on the to-do list this weekend!!!!
Old 07-10-2003, 06:19 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
I always carry a spare clutch cable, too.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Joe R
Racer

Hey I never had that cross between my ears. Not a bad Idea I should remember to get the stopper widget thingy. end of the cable between the nut and arm.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:40 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
im going to be doing a cross country trip here in a few weeks, in the 912, from columbus, ohio to solvang, ca. maybe i can throw a few ideas in. (btw here is my old post <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=001460" target="_blank">update on cross country trip in the 912</a>

if plugs arent old (and car isnt driven too much in a year) dont worry just cary spares. if theyve been in there a long time, and it gets driven daily.. change em and be safe. (usually plugs are good for 10k mi, so you should be cool).

now what do you have in your dizy? points or electronic ignition? (ie pertronix)?
either way cary a back up set of points. i had my empi electronic ignition go out after 700 miles... and i was 700 miles from home! (went out 2 days into a trip, and i installed it before i left). i swapped it with my old 009 dizy w/ points to get home, as i upgraded to an 050 with electronic ignion before i left. if you have a 2nd dizy bring that. bring alot of spare and extra parts as back up. if you buy an electronic ignition do not but and empi! they are crap! (not fun when that went out)

adjust the valves before you go (a must), do an oil change, and gear box oil change,

when were carbs adjusted last. if they are fine leave em. if its not broke dont fix! carbs can get complicated, but if you know them inside and out, a lil adjust might not be a bad idea, especially if somthins not 100% before you go.

carry a few quarts of extra oil, extra plugs, extra points, towels (you never know what youll have leaking), duct tape, electrical tape, good flash light w/ new batteries (you never know what might happen at night), tools for everything immaginable *(noticed you didnt list the big one for the fan belt/generator nut!), belt, clutch cable. make sure youre tires are good, w/ good air preassure, including your spare too!

depending on the condition of your brakes, may want to look at that, same with brake fluid. make sure your batterey is in good condition. hows the generator & brushes? if its not charging well you might wanna change the brushes.
oh and the most important tools! a work shop manual, a cell phone, and some phone numbers of people you can call in the different places you will be. (shops friends etc). oh and a credit card for break down emergencies.

you should be fine. as long as you take care of your baby, she will take care of you. if the oakies went across the country at the turn of the century in model t's we can do it in vantage air cooled porsches!

best of luck! i will let you and hit by a stick posted on my trip. (i know he is going from san francisco to chicago in his 914 later this year as well).

us air cooled 4 bangers gotta stick together!

keep the faith guys!
the road goes on forever!
Harry
Old 07-11-2003, 10:19 AM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Good thing the 914 has two trunks Lotsa room for all your wrenching needs. SF to LA was a lot like that, even though I didn't carry too many spares. It's only 900 miles round trip.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Joe R
Racer

just fiddled with the carbs last night. Seems my son didn't snug up one of the nuts on the reach rods.
Big nut on Generator??? I just slip the belt on and off the pully.
320i brakes new pads and everthing else.
Pertronics unit in the 050 distributor. So can I swith back to points if the unit fails?? I have a spare 009 points. HMMM.
Generator brushes Dare I ask how you know this??? My Alt seems to do well. Need to replace the trans ground strap.

Quick Reply: Time for a road trip