Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:53 PM
colin.plastow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment

Does anyone have a shop to recommend for an alignment in the Toronto (preferably north of) area? Auto select say they have everything they need to do it except the "spreader bar" whatever that is. Presumably it's to push the trailing arms out for the toe adjustment??

We're in the process of a 5 bolt conversion with a 911 front end and we're pulling the trailing arms off to get those done correctly. So it will no doubt be well out of alignment by the time it's all back together. Getting the trailing arms off has been something of a challenge so far. No problems other than the 3 bolts on each side that hold the outer ends to the frame. So far we've snapped one on each side. I guess they just want to stay where they are after 30+ years even after lots of soaking with penetrating oil. 4 left to snap yet. I think I see a lot of time drilling in my future!!!

Thanks

Colin
Old 06-07-2006, 04:24 AM
sww914
Instructor

Use impact rather than torque to remove those rusty bolts.
If you can't access an air impact wrench, or an impact driver, hit your wratchet handle with a big hammer in the right direction to loosen them so you don't twist the bolt heads off.
The only good penetrating oils that I've seen are PB Blaster or Wurth Rost Off.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:23 AM
colin.plastow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice. I started with the impact wrench but those bolts didn't want to shift which is why 2 sheared off eventually. They moved a few degrees then just stuck. My current method is to "rock" the bolts those few degrees to hopefully let the penetrating oil get further in to do its thing. That plus exercising more patience than I normally have for such things. Tried the gun on one last night and out it came so I'm getting hopeful.

Colin
Old 06-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 916 Likes on 558 Posts

The other option is throwing some heat at them.

It soundslike you did, but pull the plastic plugs on the top and soak the heck out of them.

As for the alignment, I've done a ton of 914 alignments and I don't have a clue what they are talking about in a spreader bar. You just tap the control arms out to get rear toe. Basically, anyone with a alignment rack can do it. I would just find the local P-car shop and have them do it.

Matt
Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 PM
colin.plastow
Addict
Rennlist Member

The final score was 4 to 2 and not in my favour. I guess I'll need to stock up on drill bits!!

Colin
Old 06-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 916 Likes on 558 Posts

Something to keep in mind:

Many people who have had the same problem you do then have the same amount of trouble drilling out and rethreading the holes. If you have this problem, you can drill the holes for clearance and put a bolt all the way through with a washer and nut on the top.

Matt
Old 06-08-2006, 04:33 PM
colin.plastow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt. That thought had crossed my mind but I wasn't sure about it so I appreciate the feedback that others have done it. I guess I'll see if I have any luck drilling and tapping first but good to know there's another option.

One thing that was interesting is that the two bolts that did come out were bone dry. It seems like a crust of rust had formed over the ends and stopped the penetrating oil getting in. Unless there's supposed to be another plug other than the plastic cap down the hole. Even after the bolts were out it wasn't until I stabbed through it that the oil dribbled out.. I used a punch on the ends of the other bolts to break it up but now wonder if I was successful. For future reference it may be worth running a small drill down there for anyone else trying this.

Colin

Quick Reply: Alignment