Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory passenger mirror still available...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory passenger mirror still available...

I picked this up this morning from Niello in Sacramento.

Part number 914 731 040 10

Nice and shiny!!!
Attached Images   
Old 04-02-2006, 12:06 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob,
Looks sweet, how much did it run?
Old 04-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

The new mirrors are apparently still available in Germany. Got about < 700 left. I got mine for $102.07 with CA tax and my PCA discount. Be sure to "try" to order the base gasket and two of the bolts. Martin thinks the base gasket is not available but that the bolts are if I recall correctly. So you would probably have to use a junk yard base gasket or make something.
The door apparently is equipped to bolt these in. You have to drill the holes in the proper spots.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:41 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob ,check this out copied off Pelican...
The passenger side mirror was never a factory option installed by Porsche. As a dealer installed option, the mirror was installed after delivery of the car. There are many rumors that surround the right-hand mirror on the 914. Many people are not aware of this, but the left-side mirror can be rotated around and used as a right-handed mirror. In fact, a recent customer wanted to order a right-handed mirror for his concours 914. We ordered the mirror directly from Porsche, and it arrived as a left-handed mirror turned backwards. So it seems that even from Porsche, the mirrors are interchangeable. The left-sided mirror is shown flipped around in Figure 1.
Andrew Greene has this to add about the right side mirror: "On your web site, you note, or imply, that the passenger side mirror was never available, or is the same as the driver's side. While it is true that the passenger side mirror is NLA, and the driver's side is substitutable, there really was a passenger side mirror (I actually had one about 20 years ago!). You don't see them too often (I snoozed and just missed one last December). The right side unit can be identifed easily, as it has a convex glass--which makes it far more useful than putting the driver's side mirror on the right. (what I don't remember is if the early style and the later style mirrors both came in a right hand/left hand version)"

Pelican Parts has plenty of mirrors in stock, and can provide you with everything you need to perform this upgrade. If you have a mirror with a broken glass, we can supply you with new glass too. You will need for this installation:

914 Left or Right handed mirror
2 mirror screws
1 mirror base gasket
hand drill with drill bits

Fortunately, Porsche thought ahead when designing the 914. The driver side mirror is mounted by screwing the base of the mirror into two nuts that are welded on the inside of the door, just under the door skin. For the passenger side, the same two nuts are already located there; they are covered by the metal door skin. To install the right side mirror, you simply need to drill through the door skin, and mount the mirror.

In order to accurately pinpoint the location of the two nuts, you need to remove the inner door panel and use a transfer punch (or a small screwdriver or nail) to create an indentation that can be used as a guide while drilling through the door skin.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Q, I had read that on Pelican a year or so ago. The part number matches what the PET calls a passenger mirror - convex on my new one. Frankly, I don't care. It is shiny and looks good so I am going to put it on the car. Are you going to get one for yours? If you are concerned about originality and there is a question, I wouldn't. Concours judges are brutal.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those mirrors are worth their weight in gold along with the door handles. I once bought a door handle for not money but I promised my first born instead. Of course I said this before I had a wife. I wonder if I should have said something before I got married to her?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:52 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob, are you saying the one you bought is convex? that's what I'm looking for, the orig. driver side crome mirror is in fine shape.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Q,
The mirror is ever so slightly convex. My statement to you regarding concours judges relates to previous discussion of your 914 which indicates that it is very low mileage and original. If you were to get a certificate of authenticity you would know what equipment it came with. To add an option that wasn't originally on the car is not original. Personally, I wouldn't worry about that and just enjoy the car. If you want one, the number I provided above will get you what I am sure is one of the last 700 made. It took mine 1.5 weeks to arrive from Germany and cost a little over $100 with tax and my PCA discount.
Jay, can you speak to that? If a car is absolutely original and you add a dealer installed option, installed correctly, is it a concours negative? I am a participant in many concours, including this next weekends CRAB in Sacramento by walking around and drooling. I don't enter my herd though.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not hung up on concours. I'm not going to go that route. When I picked the car up the PO gave me a book of paperwork and some orig. parts that he took off. One of these was the chrome side mirror. He had replaced the orig. chrome with a black replacement , at the same time he added the passenger side using the existing mounts in the door. I like the look of the Chrome much better so thats why I'm looking to find chrome pass. side mirror.

Last edited by qball; 04-04-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure I would be happy to speak about that. If you are in the Preservation then anything from the dealership would hurt you. The more the car looks as it did from the factory the better off you are. Such things as badges on the hood, sickers on the sides or AC from the dealership. Those would hurt you, but depending on the judging team it might not be that bad of a negitive. It all depends on the team. I hope that helps.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 AM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

For those interested the passenger mirror is available from pelican for $106.15
I just ordered it, part #91473104010 Thanks for the heads up Rob

Last edited by qball; 04-05-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

No problem... I ordered it from the dealership because of the PCA discount and it was $95 + tax...
Thanks for the information Jay. Kim Nelson and his girlfriend Rachel are friends and I go see the concours events and drool over the cars with them. They are judges here in SVR and Zone 7. I have to laugh when I think about the horror Kim would have on his face if I told him that when I see his 90 point Conda Green early 911 all I can think about is getting the keys and having it in a 4 wheel drift by the time I reach the apex of the first corner!
I love to see the cars in such beautiful shape though...

Quick Reply: Factory passenger mirror still available...