Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

914/928 owner

Old 01-06-2006, 11:25 PM
spode134
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 914/928 owner

What is it about Porsches that makes you buy more? I just recently bought a 73 914.... I already have 3 928's, like I needed another project.
Mark, Jim I'll have to agree with alot of your observations about 928'safter reading the post about the 914/6. I liked my 85 5 speed so much I built a 79 into a racecar... got on the track twice with it last year before the season ended. But now , man 914's handle good! Whole different world from one to the other, the 928 is so quiet and smooth and makes you want to just keep driving whereas the 14 is primitive but the thing is on rails. Anyone looking for a good deal on a freshly built 928 track car... just kidding. Looking forward to developing and racing the 928 this year if i can quit working on and driving the 914...

Darrin in rainy B.C.
85 928s 5 speed
79 928 track car stock eng, headers, Leda suspension, BBS 16", Brembos, full cage, soon to have the trans from the 85, 2750 lbs.
78 5 speed, parts car
73 914 2.0l ? Californial car kind of rust free.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No doubt about it, my 914/6 will put a grin on my face from ear to ear all day long. I really miss it. The last day I drove it, I was hit in the rear as I sat at a red light in San Jose, CA. The day before, I had it in the mountains above Saratoga, CA in light rain with the roof off (the only way to drive that car), smiling all the way. One of these days after I win the lottery, I'll probably fix it. After it was hit, someone in the 914 community whose name you would recognize offered to buy it. I am glad I held out. And it just continues to sit in my garage with straight bodywork but unpainted and all apart with stacks of parts all around it. Sometimes I just sit in it and remember its uniqueness.
I have an original six engine for it which I had just installed a couple of days before it was hit; of course it isn't really "original", having E cams and S pistons, but it is still a 2.0L. I also have a hotrod 2.7L engine with MFI (RS pump cherry) all packed away in boxes waiting to be assembled. Before the
2.0L, I had a CIS 2.7L engine which was "adequate", but like all 2.7 mag case engines, it self destructed around 85,000 miles. Now all I need, beside a stash of cash, is an electronically shifted 901 conversion to lose the clutch pedal.

The car is so simple. It is straightforward to work on it, and I can take the engine out quickly to adjust the valves (try it in the car and you'll use a box of band-aids). Once, just a few hours before I was scheduled to leave for Parade in Oklahoma, I was re-installing it and broke an exhause stud. $#%@&*!! I pulled the whole engine, put it in the front seat of my Rabbit by myself using a ramp, and took it to the machine shop to have the stud removed. That same afternoon, I brought it back and put it back in the car and left for Parade about 2 hours later than expected. What a kick !! On the way to that Parade, I recall driving at a steady 100 mph in the driving rain, and the wipers failed. I stopped for some Rain-X and kept going, until I had to sleep. So I stopped in a truck stop and slept in the car curled up around the gearshift lever while the rain poured in from the leaky top onto my forehead. Not too many creature comforts in a 914/6.

I have had other P cars, including 911s and 356s, but the car that defines the essence of Porschedom for me is the Speedster. The 914/6 is a faster Speedster with roll up windows and two trunks. The last point is the one that engenders such love for the machine. I love to camp, particularly at the race track. My 914 swallows up all my camping equipment and then some. And that's why I also love my 928: that huge hatchback and large rear compartment that I can fill with food and camping equipment and still cross the desert at triple digit speeds all day long and into the night. The difference is that I can hear the radio in the 928.

I hope I never sell either car.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:07 PM
jim912928
Racer

Darrin, yep... the 914 handles like it is on rails. Put turbo tie rod ends on it and you really get road feel and quickness in the steering. Then, after awhile, you'll beg for more power...then you'll want to do that 6 conversion! After a year with my 1.8l...I'm putting in a 3.2l carrera engine...zoom zoom!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:37 AM
spode134
Instructor

Ron,That's a good road trip story.Sometimes when you are in a time crunch stuff just works out and when you look back it was better than than it seemed then. Jim, More power... I'd be happy to not have to plan my shifts, have a heater that does more than kind of waft warm air out of the vents and yeah be able to hear the radio! It's all about momentum with this car, power oversteer is'nt in it's vocabulary. As my wife is fond of saying" good things come to those who wait"

Darrin.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:03 AM
918-S
Racer

Nice! I wanted the best of both worlds, so I built it! I'd love to ride in a 928 track prep'd car. Now that would be cool!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:46 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've ridden in the Devek white car at Laguna Seca. Outrageous brutal torque.
Laughing all the while. 200 mph capability. Beats watching TV.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

3 928's, sardis.....
hmmm maybe in awhile I might be looking for a 928...
haha anyways, you own the two bastard porsches - now all you need is a 924 & a 76' 912 and you're set!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 914/928 owner