Sponsored by:

G50 used in 914?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 05:26 AM
Michael Ghia
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G50 used in 914?

Can you fip the diff in a G50 to use the transmission in a 914 or other mid-mounted car?

Thanks

MG
Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 PM
jim912928
Racer

The G50 can be used upside down for this type of application. I believe folks modify it somehow to spray oil on the gears in some fashion. The ring/pinion cannot be flipped. For beefier tranny's several folks use the 915.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:56 AM
Mugs914
Track Day

Hi Michael,

Jim is right about flipping the G-50 to run mid-engine, can't flip the ring gear. The G-50 is pretty huge though and it would be a tough squeeze into a stock bodied car. What are you thinking of doing?

I have a flipped G-50 going into my turbo race car project. I had Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix convert it to short bellhousing and to run inverted. Here are a few pics for reference...
Attached Images     
Old 12-18-2019, 12:32 PM
Miguel K R
1st Gear

I have a 6 speed G50 trans from a 993, to install in a 914.
I just realized that the distance between the 2 holes on top, is different from the distance between the 2 holes on the bottom. This means that when the trans is inverted the position of the holes does not match with the engine. I wonder how this was solved in the above car (from Mugs914 ).

I will instal a 993 Varioram engine. Will the inlet manifolds of the Varioram fit under the grille , or do I have to replace them by the ones of a 964 ?

On the above car, it is mentioned that Patrick Motorsports shortened the bellhousing. I wonder if this was necessary to ensure that the length of the engine plus trans fit in the engine bay of the 914. And if shortening is necessary, wouldn't it be easier to shorten the long nose ?
When the bellhousing is shortened, the guide bushing for the starter is eliminated, and California Motorsports states that shortening is not recommended for post '89 G50 transmissions, due to starter compatibility issues. I guess that for transmissions till 89 the elimination of the bushing is not an issue because High Torque Starters which do not need the guiding are available. Until now I have not been able to find a High Torque Starter for post '89 transmissions.

Can someone help with these questions ?
Old 12-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Maltese Falcon
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Miguel K R
I have a 6 speed G50 trans from a 993, to install in a 914.
I just realized that the distance between the 2 holes on top, is different from the distance between the 2 holes on the bottom. This means that when the trans is inverted the position of the holes does not match with the engine. I wonder how this was solved in the above car (from Mugs914 ).

I will instal a 993 Varioram engine. Will the inlet manifolds of the Varioram fit under the grille , or do I have to replace them by the ones of a 964 ?

On the above car, it is mentioned that Patrick Motorsports shortened the bellhousing. I wonder if this was necessary to ensure that the length of the engine plus trans fit in the engine bay of the 914. And if shortening is necessary, wouldn't it be easier to shorten the long nose ?
When the bellhousing is shortened, the guide bushing for the starter is eliminated, and California Motorsports states that shortening is not recommended for post '89 G50 transmissions, due to starter compatibility issues. I guess that for transmissions till 89 the elimination of the bushing is not an issue because High Torque Starters which do not need the guiding are available. Until now I have not been able to find a High Torque Starter for post '89 transmissions.

Can someone help with these questions ?
California Motor Sports (Shaun) in Lake Havasu might be the person to speak with regarding your transaxle questions. A friend made this custom engine lid for his V-ram 993 powered 9146, as he didn't want to lower the engine and lose ground clearence. He's also running a Wevo style 916 transaxle.

Quick Reply: G50 used in 914?