Sponsored by:

914 values

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 11:42 AM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 914 values

I am looking into "driver" 914s. I was wondering if anyone could post a very rough price range for a decent '72 1.7. I am looking at one that seems to be a good deal with "rebuilt engine, no rust, new tires, new interior ready for buyer to install." We'll see how accurate all that is. I know there are a lot of variables and I will surely get a PPI but assuming everything is on the up and up what should I look for and what should I expect to pay. Sorry this is all so vague but any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:19 PM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

for a 1.7...good-great condition....roughly...5k max...it also depends on mileage...be sure to have a thorough PPI
Old 10-09-2005, 06:42 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. That is about what I thought but I'm admittedly lost when it comes to the older Pcars. Second questions is where is the best place to get a PPI done on something like this? I can't imagine that many dealers would have someone intimately knowledgable about 914s.

Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:57 PM
RandB
AutoX

Just a heads-up... Make sure you really know where to look for hidden rust in these things. The only 914s with no rust are the ones that have never been in the rain and were garaged all their lives. A truly "rust-free" 914 is worth a lot more than the ones that "appear" to be rust free until you remove the battery tray and dig in deeper.

I paid $2000 for my '75 2.0. It was "rust free." When I removed the battery tray I discovered rust underneath. The deeper I dug, the more rust damage I found. I'm still happy with my deal, but only because I have the resources to cut and weld... and enjoy the process of replacing rotten sheet metal. Otherwise it would have been a bad deal.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:38 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Yeah...I need to do some more research to be better prepared but I knew to ask about the battery tray. He said that that was perfect and the only rust was under the driver seat and he "fixed" that. We'll see. I dont mind a little rust as I have the resources to cut and weld new metal if I need to. I just dont want something that will turn into a heartache. Thanks for the input guys. As also, the list is a huge resource.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 AM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

for a good PPI...go to www.914club.com there should be some knowlegeable members around you, and im sure they'd b e happy to go along with you and give you their opinion
Old 10-10-2005, 02:43 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

That sounds like a great idea. Thanks for all your help. I'll let everyone know how things go.

Josh

Quick Reply: 914 values