Sponsored by:

Restore questions and "Have you seen this car?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Scott.shadrick
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restore questions and "Have you seen this car?"

Ok. I’ve finally decided to restore my ’73 914. Not to original specifications, just one that makes the car more enjoyable for me.

I’ve been looking at GT flares and I was wondering if the fiberglass flares are good enough or do you really need to get the steel flares? How hard are the fiberglass flares to install and work with. I have the same question regarding the fiberglass 916 front and rear bumpers.

Are there any 914 Rennlist members within 150 miles of the Fort Knox/Louisville Kentucky area?

Any reliable body shops for WHEN I decide to get some help with the bodywork and paint?

Finally, does anyone know the owner of the car in the attached photo? I love the rims and wanted some more information about the car and rims. I think its from someone in Kenesis, CA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know for reading about all your stories that I am in for a long but worthwhile journey.

Wish me luck!
Scott

’73 914
’83 944
Attached Images  

Last edited by Scott.shadrick; 04-12-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:25 PM
jim912928
Racer

I'm partial to steel...the steel replica ones are pretty cheap as compared to the factory OEM ones (see pelicanparts...made by auto atlanta). I've been told they fit pretty good. There is a guy in TN that is into 914-6 conversions. He might be able to speak better. Go to the www.914club.com forum (alot of 914 activity there..the place to be for 914 people) and look up member 9146986 (perry kiehl).
Old 04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Scott.shadrick
AutoX

Jim,

Thanks for the info on the steel fenders. I didn't get a lot of feedback but saw how they were comparable in price to the fiberglass fenders.

I'll also contact Perry once I get to that stage.

-Scott
Old 04-12-2005, 06:10 PM
jim912928
Racer

Scott, there is also two 914 events that attract people from the midwest (TN, KY, OH, IL,WI,IN) for the most part. One is called the Midwest Classic and his usually in august in southwest MI. Last year there were about 45 very nice 914's (4's, 6's and v8's..including a 914 with a v8 928 engine in it). There is also one in the fall in southern IN (in columbus) called the Fall Foilage Classic. Last yeare there were about 25 cars there. Good place to meet alot of crazy enthusiasts!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Scott.shadrick
AutoX

Here are a few before pictures to document what I am dealing with. My plan is to take the whole car a part, carefully labeling and bagging items as I go.

I plan on using the digital camera and a video recorder to help document the process – this might help ensure that I get the damn thing back together. I’ll post picture periodically. I’ve personally enjoyed looking at all the photos everyone else has posted.

Question 1: I did a search on the list and on the Internet and couldn’t find a good answer. So, is there a preferred method for disassembling the car or is it case specific?

I also have a few questions to help me “sure-up” my budget for the project (I know, add 10 percent to every estimate and double the total).

Question 2: I may try and get the body sandblasted if I can find a place locally. Does anyone know how much that should normally cost?

Question 3: If you could redo your cars, which items would you have powered coated?
Attached Images   
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Scott.shadrick
AutoX

Here is where the PO used caulk and other stuff to "stop" a leak by the light cover.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Scott.shadrick
AutoX

Back end view... and rust on the rear trunk. It is fixable, but I'm thinking about fiberglass for the rear lid.

Yeah, that is my '83 944 you can see in the garage with some stuff piled on the back. It needs a paint job and a A/C conversion!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Scott.shadrick; 04-12-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Scott.shadrick
AutoX

Inside trunk rust (cancer)... this should be fun. The second picture is of the alarm system installed on the car...
Attached Images   
Old 04-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Scott.shadrick
AutoX

Front trunk area... It is not as bad as the picture looks.
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Scott.shadrick
AutoX

Inside the car. I have new left and right floor pans to weld in. Should be real fun! At least the longitudals are not real bad!

I'm thinking about powercoating the pedal box area (not the springs).
Attached Images   

Last edited by Scott.shadrick; 04-12-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Scott.shadrick
AutoX

Dash... eeek! ... and the seats. Seats are in decent shape, but I'll probably put them on ebay, sell, trade, or give them away and get some new seats...
Attached Images   
Old 04-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Scott.shadrick
AutoX

Engine compartment …

What is not shown is the damage to the battery stand…

In doing a rebuild, is it a good idea to move the location of the battery?
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2005, 09:12 AM
jim912928
Racer

Scott,

You really don't have to move the location of the battery tray...just get a non-corrosive battery after you put in a new tray like the optima. Get the red with reverse poles and it fits right in like a hand in a glove.

On my car there wasn't anybody around that could sandblast. The body shop that did my work (corvette restore shop) stipped the entire thing chemically (by hand..not dip) in about 2 days.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:20 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Scott, the former owner of the 914 in your photo is the owner of Kenesis. He built the car or more accurately commissioned the construction of that car. In person that car is devastatingly attractive. For awhile I could not put my finger on why it set me back on my heels; then it was explained to me by him that he had a shop in LA re-work the flares. Look closely at those flares and notice that they are not flat sided like all the others. They were originally steel factory flares, but have been lightly bulged out for a more sculptural appearance. I have sat in that car which has Koenig CP 700 seats fitted. It is a bit cramped with those seats but once in place, you would probably like it. Just getting in and out that is difficult. If Santa could leave one of those under my tree, I would be so grateful.

Quick Reply: Restore questions and "Have you seen this car?"