Sponsored by:

914 '74 Idle problums?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 05:15 PM
calumet
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 914 '74 Idle problums?

Wow this thing is frustrating me… I just finished working on the engine, Doing the heads and fixing it up a little. Now that I have it all put back together everything sounds pretty much alright, as long as I don’t want to idle.

When I first got the engine back in the car it started right up (that god) but the idle was at about 1800 RPMs just a little too fast… I knew that I needed to do the timing on it, so I did that, there was a little red line on the fan that is what I used to time it, is that correct it looked about right. But The engine seemed to run a little rich…. Ok so I have been adjusting the intake air-flow meter, and the screw on the throttle body, but to no avail. Now the engine just plain WONT IDLE, it might start up for a little, maybe 10 seconds and than poof it dies. Now if I start it, and rev it up it sounds great, I can rev it all the way up, and I can even hold it up at lets say 2500 RPMs and it will do that just fine, but the real problem is that once I let it go back down to idle it slows down, and than poof dies at idle…

BTW on both the throttle body and the intake meter which direction dose what on those two screws?? And are there any other adjustments available?

And one last thing… there are 3 white wires that come from the EFI set of cables that are not connected to anything, and I can’t figure out what they should be connected to, I have the tach wire to the (-) of the coil, and those 3 orphans are just lost!

Thanks for your help!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:12 PM
calumet
3rd Gear

Well I went out and just started messing with things. I unplugged the hose between the decel-valve and the intake manifold, which REALLY seemed to make a difference. But I know that isn’t the solution… it is almost like the car is starving for air.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:18 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Hello,
please specify what size engine and all that junk. Sounds like a 2.0 to me, just a guess.
Does the car just idle high, or jump up and down or what?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:37 PM
calumet
3rd Gear

Sorry I didn't realize I negected that...it's actuly a 1.8L, nothing real special.

And actuly it idles really low, and for about 5 secounds... and it really only likes to start if I am pressing on the accelerator. I know that this isn't normal... I am now kind of hung up on the the idea that it's starving for air...

If the butterfly flap in the throdle body is closed, than where dose the engin get it's air to idle?

David

Quick Reply: 914 '74 Idle problums?