Sponsored by:

Bad day for my 914

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad day for my 914

Well folks I find myself needing to make a tough desicion. I had been readying my '73 2.0L for sale. I took it to my local Porsche mechanic to have a valve noise cured. Turned out that one of my valve guides had been improperly installed and had become loose.(my mechanic did not install it) My mechanic drilled out the hole and installed an oversized guide and put everything back together. He ran it for 45-50 minutes and said everything was working great. A week had gone by before I could get out to his shop, so today I called and said I was on my way out. Before I arrived he started the car to get it warmed up before I arrived so I could take it for a quick drive.
I pulled up to see smoke pouring out of his shop. He said after about 30 seconds of running, it began making what he described as a "ringing noise" and the exhaust turned to a blue smoke. My mechanic shut it down immediatly When we tried to turn it over, it did and blue smoke rings came out of the exhaust. It did not start, but turned over freely. We are at a loss as to what could have failed. All 4 plugs looked oily.
Now, does anyone have a suggestion as to what may have happened? We are not real excited about pulling the engine again, but I fear it may be the next step. This has been an excellent car with many improvements, I was planning on asking $7000 for it. I need to make some sort of decision on how much to put into it. I really need to sell it to make room in my garage. Can anyone offer some advice/opinions/guidance?
Old 02-24-2004, 03:57 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Well if this was only 45 minutes after installing the new valve guides, it seems as if that didn't go as well as though and threw oil into the cylinder... though I'm not sure why the hell all four plugs would be oily.

Just food for thought: Oil problem 45 minutes before supposedly fixed, oil problem after... coincidence??
Old 02-24-2004, 09:55 AM
joes
Racer

Check the head temp sensor, it isn't hooked up right or has failed. This will cause a super rich condition. It happened to me. and I never would have thought it would have it such an effect.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

Kevin
I agree it seems like it should be related but he did nothing to the other head. It wasn't even removed. I think the temp sensor sounds plausible I am going to have him turn the engine over with the coil unhooked. At least that may tell me if the engine has been damaged.
I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks you both for your input.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:20 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

But if it were the temp sensor, wouldn't the smoke be black?

black smoke = gas
blue smoke = oil

..just something to consider
Old 03-07-2004, 12:40 AM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Maybe the manifold pressure sensor went out? Mine did and the car was not happy with that. Also the hose going from the throttle body to the front of the MPS needs to be good.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Dean Tanner
Advanced

O.K. here is the update. I pulled the engine and began disassembling it. Everything is turning freely but there is a lot of oil on the case around the oil pump. My mechanic mentioned that there was quite a puddle of oil after the problem appeared. The oil on the case did not come from around the main seal, but seems to have come from the oil pump cover. Next thing I noticed was the valve cover gaskets were not seated properly and were being hit by the rockers and there were a couple of real small pieces missing. Next I pulled the oil screen and low and behold the were one or two little tiny bits of cork. Now my question is: If one of those bits plugged an oil port would the resulting back pressure cause symptoms similar to what I have experienced? If this is my problem can I flush the case out properly without a tear down? If so how?

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:08 PM
joes
Racer

I think you need to start with the basics. First do a compression test If you have good compression that rules out many things. Next you need fuel pressure then spark then work through the FI system. I don't think you have a mechanical problem there is some FI wiring not hooked up right or plugs not making good connection. Oh and don't forget to check the FI grounds it won't run without them making good contact. there is a good web site for t-shooting the FI system, Kjell's guide to d-jet maintenance.

FYI in the oil filter housing there is a high pressure bypass ( in case of a blocked oil filter) Keep us posted Joe.

Quick Reply: Bad day for my 914