Sponsored by:

Shift fork-mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 04:21 PM
shimmey
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Shift fork-mechanism

I am reinstalling my shifting forks-mechanism and cannot get it to seat the last 1/2 inch. in my 1973 2.0. It just will not raise up any farther. The transmission is in neutral verified by turning one of the wheel hubs and no gears are turning. Also

Is there suppose to be a gasket between this mechanism and the transmission? I do not see one on the PET diagrams. You would think tranny fluid would leak out of here. Thanks, Mike
Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by shimmey
I am reinstalling my shifting forks-mechanism and cannot get it to seat the last 1/2 inch. in my 1973 2.0. It just will not raise up any farther. The transmission is in neutral verified by turning one of the wheel hubs and no gears are turning. Also

Is there suppose to be a gasket between this mechanism and the transmission? I do not see one on the PET diagrams. You would think tranny fluid would leak out of here. Thanks, Mike
First, there is no gasket between the console and case for a side-shift 914, just the o-ring. So, that looks correct.

Next, double-check that the trans is in neutral. Look up the hole into the case with a flashlight. All three shift rods should be lined up via the slot machined in each one. If they are not perfectly lined up, use a screwdriver and carefully move the rods as needed.

My guess is that your problem is that the shift rods aren't perfectly lined up. I've done this job before, and the console goes right in if everything is lined up properly. Wiggling the shifter back-and-forth just a little can help get it up there, too -- you are trying to thread the shifter fork up through the slots machined into the shift rods.

Also, spread a little gear oil on the o-ring, it will go into the case much easier.
The following users liked this post:
shimmey (08-25-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:46 AM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

one of the shift forks is still out of alignment
The following users liked this post:
shimmey (08-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Shift fork-mechanism