Sponsored by:

'70 914-6 Warm/Hot Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 10:26 AM
87turbo87
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '70 914-6 Warm/Hot Start Problem

I recently bought a gorgeous fully restored '70 914-6.
The car starts perfectly when cold..lights up in seconds.
After running the car I cannot get it to start no matter how many times I crank it unless I let it cool for an hour+ or roll start it.
The starter turns without a problem..it just will not start the engine even after only running for a few minutes from a cold start.
If I roll start in 2nd gear it starts right up.
I've kept a charger on the battery at night to assure a full charge & have confirmed that it's getting charged while driving & will note that the battery is measuring 12.7 on the voltmeter.
I've perused the forum & fully realize this is a very common problem but mine seems a bit different as it's happening only after a few minutes of driving (I pulled the car out of the garage yesterday..got out..closed the garage door & turned the car off & it wouldn't start again until I roll started down the hill).
Lastly, it has been quite warm outside & the temperature has been 85F+ degrees but I'm not sure that matters considering how quickly the problem emerges.

I'm sure I don't need to state the obvious but the car is basically underivable due to the worry that if I stall I'm stuck in traffic or if I stop somewhere I'm stuck for an hour+ unless I find a hill to park on so I can roll start the car.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by 87turbo87; 08-05-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:51 AM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 87turbo87
I recently bought a gorgeous fully restored '70 914-6.
The car starts perfectly when cold..lights up in seconds.
After running the car I cannot get it to start no matter how many times I crank it unless I let it cool for an hour+ or roll start it.
The starter turns without a problem..it just will not start the engine even after only running for a few minutes from a cold start.
If I roll start in 2nd gear it starts right up.
I've kept a charger on the battery at night to assure a full charge & have confirmed that it's getting charged while driving & will note that the battery is measuring 12.7 on the voltmeter.
I've perused the forum & fully realize this is a very common problem but mine seems a bit different as it's happening only after a few minutes of driving (I pulled the car out of the garage yesterday..got out..closed the garage door & turned the car off & it wouldn't start again until I roll started down the hill).
Lastly, it has been quite warm outside & the temperature has been 85F+ degrees but I'm not sure that matters considering how quickly the problem emerges.

I'm sure I don't need to state the obvious but the car is basically underivable due to the worry that if I stall I'm stuck in traffic or if I stop somewhere I'm stuck for an hour+ unless I find a hill to park on so I can roll start the car.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
three things
1, make sure that you have a spark
2 make sure that you have the intake insulator blocks installed
3 make sure that the carbs are not percolating the fuel

When you start the car hot, put your foot all of the way to the floor (DO NOT PUMP!!!!!!!!) until it starts
The following users liked this post:
cjcam930 (08-10-2019)