How to price a running project?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 12:15 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to price a running project?

Hi guys

This is not one of those for sale posts masquerading as a 'what's it worth' (although I am selling)
New car is coming soon, and I need to free up funds and garage space, so I'm selling the 914, 944 and 996

I don't enjoy the haggling or selling process, but BaT rejected this one, so I thought I'd try Rennlist before eBay. But I need an initial price

Bought this from a father/son who were fixing it up until the son went to college. They did a lot of rust repair and replaced the fuel lines and clutch until they petered out. I thought my son and I would finish it up. We got it running and driving, but we have neither the time nor the aptitude to go further, and he has gotten older and got his own car by now

Original color was Marathon Blue, but as it sits, it is several other colors, including primer. Mostly pearl white. Minimal rust, solid floorboards, hellhole. Hellhole may have been altered, as the DME does not look like factory mounting. It also comes with a treasure trove of spare parts - including an entire drivetrain, extra heads, a set of 5 Mahle wheels (I was going to do a Can-Am tribute), and everything that was easily removable from a parts car.
How would you evaluate a fair price for something like this?
Here's a pic of the worst side - the other side is all white

Thanks
pf
Old 04-18-2018, 01:37 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What month and year is the vinyl EPA tag on door jamb if still there ?

What is the trunk and floor in 'frunk' look like ? Any perforation or rust ?
Is the glass good and upholstery good ? Dash cracked ?
Is it a 2.0 litre ? Miles showing ?

Is the car a '74 ( front bumpers tell me it is ) or is it the '73 listed in your tag line ?

Is it an 'air' car with the condenser cut in the front floor ?

I am interested in looking at it and making an offer .... thanks

Oh, and any info on the 944 ?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:08 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Hi Mrgreenjeans

Sticker says 04/73.
Picture of the frunk below, some surface rust by the drain hole, but still solid.
Glass is good, I think I have an extra window too! Dash seems to have a vinyl cap on it, so I bet it is cracked underneath.
Engine ( and spare) is 1.7L. with D-Jet.Spare D-Jet (computer, harness, injectors, etc).
Odometer was stopped at 33xxx when I fixed it - and when I fixed it, the upper digits slipped , so 55xxx miles are showing.

From the title, sticker, and engine, I'd still think 1973, but I'm no expert.

I don't know about a 'condenser cut', so I'd say no

You (or any RLister) is welcome to take a look and person - I was actually planning on putting it on eBay tonight, and letting the market decide a price

944 is a Sapphire Blue Metallic 86 NA, Fuchs wheels, 127,xxx miles. All maintenance up to date. Car runs cool, A/C runs cold, and that's in Texas summer! I'm pretty picky, and I'd say it is extremely nice considering age and miles. The dash doesn't even have cracks! I plan on getting pictures and ready for sale this weekend

Last edited by pugface; 04-19-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2018, 10:09 AM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Oops, here is pic

Quick Reply: How to price a running project?