Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

914 outlaw (plus something for the purists)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:32 AM
OptimusGlen
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 914 outlaw (plus something for the purists)

Hey all, I have a bunch of my stuff up in other places so figured I'd share here as well.

As a hobby I do a lot of 3D modeling and rendering. Since I own a 914 it has tended to be the focus of my work. I started by creating a narrow body version to mimic my car, then I started adding. I added a wide body version, added other wheels, added rally inspired foglights, started doing more of the M471 stuff (hood, fuel filler, front valence) and then I branched out and started doing my own design study on a handfull of modifications (front signal scoops, rear lights, fender vents, side vent, roof spoiler...) It's snowballed a bit but it's been a really fun project.

Additionally, I have a 2.2T 911 engine that I'm currently rebuilding for my 914. While I have it all apart I've been measuring each part by hand and modeling them. I'm making good progress and I am currently halfway through the carbs and just starting on the case (case not shown, very very early)

People tend to enjoy the engine most so I'll start with those photos.

Current state, rendered here in clay

carb exploded view, I still need to create all of the jets/screws/floats/etc. Also, the opposite side of the carb body hasn't been started.

A colored version of the full assembly, you'll see that it has a previous version of the carbs installed. This was before I added detail to those.

I'm trying to get things as accurate as possible. Believe it or not the springs were the hardest part of the head assembly.

Another exploded view from earlier in the project.

And an exploded view of the intermediate shaft.

That brings it up to date on the engine project. Now for the 914!

Here's the narrow body stockish version

I had made the steel wheels a little big, sized them down here.

An older rendering, but this was the start of the M471 version. wide body and GT front bumper/valence. The shape of the fender flares isn't exact, I had to estimate a lot and built the 3D based on photos, no 3D scanning available.

A version of the GT with rally lights, this one also has the GT hood fuel filler

Here is where things take a turn into outlaw territory. Beware!!

I've got new fenders here, bolt on style with hidden hardware (I'm not a fan of exposed hardware, looks cheap to me...) Also have a big side scoop, upper fender vents, my original design front signals with integrated air scoops for brake venting, and a big front valence I created.

Similar setup here, with the addition of the roof spoiler and turbofans on the wheels.

The tail lights are modernized a bit, but I'm not done with these yet. I may just start over on creating a modern 914 tail light.

And a version with wide steelies and some squiggles.

I'll leave you with a rear 3/4 view showcasing several of my design ideas.

I usually keep my instagram most up-to-date with this stuff, if you like what you see and want to see more feel free to check me out. www.instagram.com/autoillustrated

Design is a funny thing. You've all heard the saying about what opinions are like (a-holes,everyone's got one) and that's entirely true. I've come to find that in the design world there is no right or wrong, just different. One person might love the roof spoiler for instance, while someone else might things it's an abomination.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:53 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Very cool!
Old 12-04-2017, 03:09 AM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sick!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:35 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being anchored in the time warp of my choosing, this new computer/3 D world escapes me. As an example I still use a flip phone (hoping someone, maybe Scotty, will beam me up). The pictures are a delight, and, I was pleased to view the teens with a stock factory steel wheels, the current direction with my own car as the wheels shouldn't visually overpower the total design of the vehicle.
Great pix, nice work.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:33 PM
BigLou
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome designs. Nice work.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:29 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Submit that last widebody version to Singer and tell them to build it! Down to the tails, its a masterpiece!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:09 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Love it!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:57 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

Absolutely beautiful - I hope you make posters and T-shirts.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:59 PM
timothythewhite
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What software are you using for the modeling of the engine?

Quick Reply: 914 outlaw (plus something for the purists)