Need help with potential purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:05 PM
_b3nc3_
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with potential purchase

Trying to help a friends father who is looking at a local 73' 914 1.8

Car has 82k miles, feels pretty mechanically sound driving it. Oil pan shows a good amount of oil underneath representing a leak. Paint is in fair overall condition, has been repainted yellow. There is a couple chips and scratches which have been touched up but not with the exact color.

Seller is looking to get 10k for the car. What do you guys think? I know these are not the greatest pictures but all I have at the moment.

Attached Images      
Old 10-19-2017, 07:38 PM
ehokana
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The car pictured is a '75 or '76 based on the large rubber bumpers. Prior to '75 (or very late '74 based on my parts car), 914's had smaller chrome/painted bumpers with a rubber top. Also, there was not a 1.8 offered in '73 (1.7 and 2.0 were the engines available).

I am venturing to guess that this car is a '75 as I do not see the dash light for the emissions control. Either way, the later model cars are not as desirable as the early cars, and the 1.8, even less so. Be aware whether the car will need to be smogged (not sure about the laws in NJ).

Remember that the odometer in the car is limited to 100k. Unless the owner has documents to substantiate the 82K mileage, I would assume the car has ticked over at least once, if not twice.

To offer any opinion on a reasonable value, you would have to look it over for rust. While rust free 914's are out there (I learned on my restoration), they are not the norm by any stretch. Given the NJ plates, I would assume the car has some rust. The battery tray area and longs on the car will be the general areas to look at. I would also suggest pulling the carpet back in the rear trunk and checking near the lights, checking under the spare in the front trunk, and under the carpet in the cabin as these areas are also prone to the tin worm. Any bubbling in the paint will be a good indicator- especially around the windshield cowl where the seams invite water to sit.

Many of these cars leak oil. I would be cautious if it is a large amount, unless you can pinpoint the source. However, the motors are pretty simple to work on and can be removed from the car very easily (it takes me about 15 minutes to pull the motor at this point).

Make sure the car goes into gear and shifts smoothly. Reverse is sometimes finicky, but shifting into second before going to reverse has seemed to work on all of my 914's.

Last thing I can think of off the top of my head is to check the body panels. Gap tolerance on the 914 was 6mm, if I recall. If the car has been in a wreck, you want to make sure the repair was proper. Fenders are welded to the frame, so repairs tend to be a little more obvious.

Sorry for the narrative, but I figured it might be helpful.

Without knowing more than what you stated, I would be taking a shot in the dark. For the year and motor, in average condition, I think 10k is rather high.

Keep us updated!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:42 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 884 Likes on 535 Posts

What eho said- it's not a '73 . The VIN will tell year. Third digit 473 would be '73, 474 a '74 etc.
The big bumper cars are less desirable, and the 1.8 is the least desirable engine. But if it RUST free or nearly free the other stuff can be easily changed or modified.

Pretty sure from the pix those are aftermarket wheels, not real Fuchs that have been painted.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:34 AM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

It is a 75 model. The new jersey scares me because I always think of salted roads and rust.
It must have been hit in the rear end as the 914 and the 1.8 are too close together, meaning that maybe the rear panel has been replaced and new holes tapped for the emblems. Of course really not enough pictures. 83000 may be accurate as the speedo and tach needles are not too faded. However the dash is cracked the left seat previously repaired and the carpets replaced and the car probably repainted because the color is too light for sunflower yellow. If you can provide more pics we can help further. HOPEFULLY it is still fuel injected
Old 10-20-2017, 01:12 PM
_b3nc3_
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Need help with potential purchase