916 Oil tank and network options

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 AM
ManuFromParis
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 916 Oil tank and network options

Hello guys,
I've got this 914 which came with a 1971 911 2.2T on Webers, but the car never really worked or rolled when I got it : many issues everywhere.

I sorted out some wire issues with headlights, gas leaks on webers and bent over the oil network which did not look that correct.

First, there is the tank which is a modified 911 that went in left fender likely with a hammer, bending it and making almost impossible to remove.
No way to drain the oil except from the strainer plate's screw or a hose.

The in and out hoses, and breather hoses were apparently correctly fitted, even though they went all strange ways.

The oil cooler still is from the 911, so with an inline intake plug, which implies a 90° connector that stays very close to the left rear trailing arm. Frightening, but looks ok.
This cooler is quite expensive :
https://www.rosepassion.com/en/cat/p...-914-6/P111802

Then I started to think about it, checked on PMS's options and I have several questions :
- as the PMS or OEM 914-6 oil tank doesn't have a drain screw either, how are you supposed to drain oil with this setup ? Add a T connector to the input cooler hose ?
https://www.rosepassion.com/en/cat/p...il-tank/P12746

- is it normal that all oil from tank fall down in engine cases when car is parked ? Does it fall down likewise on 911 ?

- What are the most efficient and cheapest options to set a tank, with or without an additional oil cooler ?

I guess the tank would likely be in the left rear fender or in the rear trunk, but I've seen tanks in the front, which seems odd to me because of the intake hose's length and way.

Would love to see picture of your setups or links to built reports.

Thank you for your feedback !!
Emmanuel
Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 AM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Might also want to post question on 914World, which is way more active.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:01 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

your car must already have a six oil tank installed probably aftermarket, as the 911 tank will not fit what so ever under the left rear quarter panel.
The oil was always drained in the real "sixes" by separating the two oil lines. A bit messy, but avoids having to access the inaccessible bottom of the six oil tank.
I would tidy things us and leave it the way it is. If you would like to send me some pictures of the setup, I could give you some advice. George Hussey autoatlanta

Quick Reply: 916 Oil tank and network options