Sponsored by:

Stock Shift Knob Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 07:04 PM
Ldino21
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Unhappy Stock Shift **** Installation

I have the stock shift know and ordered the crush sleeve from porsche to install the ****, but I cant seem to get in to stay tight!!

What is the secret???

I seems like I can put the **** and the sleeve on together then pull the **** up and it will somewhat stay, but any force down and it comes back off.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:11 PM
blabla914
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purists everywhere will probably cringe when they read this, but I'll give you my secret.

It's called JB weld. Rough up the area that will be covered with the **** with some 150 grit sand paper and clean thoroughly with paint prep solvent like Kleanz-easy found at Napa.

One note of caution. Shift ***** are like $80 and once it's on it is NOT coming off in one piece. If you are planning on installing a quick shift or any other work that will require the lever coming out of the base DON'T DO THIS!

Also note that the lever must be assembled to the base before you glue the **** on. The hole in the base is smaller than the ****.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to cure a loose ****, I'd love to hear it.

Kelly
Old 11-26-2003, 06:02 PM
jim912928
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it real sloppy? Is it really the correct crush sleeve? Is it an old crush sleeve?

If it is new and still loose, you might want to insert a "wedge" of some sort between the crush and the shift rod to take up the slack..then compress it on (wedge can be a sliver of sheet metal, very small finishing nail etc.) Or if it is real loose how about doubling the crush up with your old one?
Old 11-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 976 Likes on 585 Posts

When I install shift ****, I put the washer in the *** and put the whole thing on the shaft. I then use my hand a very firm whack on the top to compress everything. None of them are on ultra-tight, but this has always worked for me.

Hope this helps - Matt

Quick Reply: Stock Shift Knob Installation