912 Forum 1965-1969

Gas Tank Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 10:48 PM
aperalta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Leak

I'm so close to firing up a 68 912 for the first time in 18 years or so. Had gas tank refurbished, new sending unit, and changed oil and filter. So gas tank was reinstalled and seated in tub of car--looked to be a great fit. Filled with a couple gallons of fuel and she poured fuel out of the bottom where the tank seats with the cars fuel line. I thought perhaps this was because there was no vacuum in fuel line so I took the coil off and engaged starter to turn motor over. No luck as I still leaked fuel at the same place.

Did I miss a clamp that goes down there? I did not notice a clamp on bottom of tank when i pulled it. In fact, the fuel line down there is quite rigid leading me to speculate that once the tank is seated in the tub, the male end on the tank finds its mark in the female end of the fuel line.

Her is where it's leaking:

Old 05-31-2015, 06:32 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

If all the fuel has yet to pour out don't worry it will... The supply line to the pump should be
located just under that suspension cover , this must be removed to gain access and then you will see the line that needs to be attached to the tank nipple.
Yes there is a clamp to be secured on the rubber line..Bert
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (07-12-2020)
Old 05-31-2015, 08:13 PM
aperalta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to hear that removal of tank again is not warranted. I can visualize what needs to be done. A quick follow up question for clarification. Is the suspension cover sectioned into pieces or is it one piece that covers the undercarriage of car? Is this cover secured by screws or clips? What exactly am I looking for to get that cover off? Thanks so much for the help!
Old 06-01-2015, 08:58 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

The pump cover should be secured by the four bolts at the corners of the panel these also hold crossmember .. Bert

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Leak