Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

912 Fuel system troubleshooting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 01:40 AM
Grease Monkey
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 912 Fuel system troubleshooting.

Drove the 912 last Sunday ran great, parked it and tried to start it tonight Friday and it popped a few times but would not start. I pretty quickly determined that I am not getting any fuel out of the metal fuel line where it comes up into the engine compartment. I have a fuel filter after it comes into the engine compartment and it is clean. I pulled the fuel sender unit out and looked into the fuel tank with a flashlight and it looked pretty ugly with rust. I have about a 1/2 tank of fuel. I guess my next step tomorrow is to drain the tank and pull the tank and check the fuel lines from the tank to the engine compartment.

Any tips on draining the tank and or areas to check for a plug or my next step? Help!
Old 05-18-2015, 01:16 AM
Grease Monkey
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulled the tank this weekend, and fortunately the fuel tank was not as bad as I had feared once I got it out in to daylight. The bottom 2/3rds of the inside of the tank looked really good, it was just the top 1/3rd that had surface rust.

The problem was the P.O. had replaced the fuel line from the tank to the metal tube going into the channel and had not routed it properly around the steering assembly and it had kinked off.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Grease Monkey
Pulled the tank this weekend, and fortunately the fuel tank was not as bad as I had feared once I got it out in to daylight. The bottom 2/3rds of the inside of the tank looked really good, it was just the top 1/3rd that had surface rust.

The problem was the P.O. had replaced the fuel line from the tank to the metal tube going into the channel and had not routed it properly around the steering assembly and it had kinked off.
Glad it was an easy fix

Depending on the year of your car, you might want to change the filter on the tank...

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...89-p16911.html

Quick Reply: 912 Fuel system troubleshooting.