912 Forum 1965-1969

How to Open a 912 Trunk Lid

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Open a 912 Trunk Lid

Hey guys I was wondering how to open the trunk of a 912. A 912 has become available, been sitting for years but body is in GREAT shape, everything is there.

I know where the lever is to pop the lid, the level pulls rather free, feels as if the cable is in one piece. The lid pops but I can not open it. I assume its a pin style latch set up like the old bmw's, and the hatches on 944's. Any fail-safe way to open it?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Also I am not sure of the year of the car. I was told it is a '65. Wheels on it are stamped 6 of 67' but may not be original. Gauges are the green style, twin grill. I know there is a VIN and ID sticker under the trunk lid. Where else could I find the VIN. Didn't find anything under the bonnet.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Just to clarify, I am talking about the engine cover lid.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by banana944
Hey guys I was wondering how to open the trunk of a 912. A 912 has become available, been sitting for years but body is in GREAT shape, everything is there. I know where the lever is to pop the lid, the level pulls rather free, feels as if the cable is in one piece. The lid pops but I can not open it. I assume its a pin style latch set up like the old bmw's, and the hatches on 944's. Any fail-safe way to open it?
Trunk lid has a safety catch that you activate with your left hand when standing in front of the car. Bend down and look up into the lid & you will see the catch.

Also I am not sure of the year of the car. I was told it is a '65. Wheels on it are stamped 6 of 67' but may not be original. Gauges are the green style, twin grill. I know there is a VIN and ID sticker under the trunk lid. Where else could I find the VIN. Didn't find anything under the bonnet.
Twin grill? Is this a 356 or a 912?

Just to clarify, I am talking about the engine cover lid.
Oh yes. Engine lid... No safety catch on the rear as there is no fear that the lid will pop up and block your view. Safety latches are for that. Have someone pull the **** in the door jamb (for the engine lid) while you pull up on the engine lid. That should do it.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

It is a 912. I am rather new when it comes to the old air cooled cars!

Tried to pull it while someone pulled the **** for the engine lid. No luck! Maybe I should cross-post this to the 911 forum too for help. I assume its the same setup.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

The rear lid has a spring that will pop the lid up when you pull the release. If that is not happening then the release is not releasing. Meaning you may need to figure out a way to manually pull the release.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Typ997S
Advanced

On my '68 912, there is a plate with VIN on the body that is visible with the left front door open, and also on the body under the front deck lid (not on the lid itself.) Hope that helps...but if you've got green gauges, it's earlier than '68, so YMMV.

Quick Reply: How to Open a 912 Trunk Lid