912 Forum 1965-1969

vapor locking

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 12:45 AM
Norm Dewhurst
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post vapor locking

I own a 67 912 that will vapor lock when driven steadily in hot weather. I have replaced pumps and last year rebuilt my pump. When I vapor locked this year I began considering an electric pump. Tweeks and others sell a Facet electric pump for about $50. Does anyone have an opinion about solving the problem in this way?
Thanks
Norm Dewhurst
Old 06-14-2001, 07:10 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Vapour Lock is possible in hot areas.
Especially on overheatet engines.

Yes get a Facet or other fuellpump and install it in the line to boost fuelflow.

If you have a returnline to the fueltank you can use a larger fuelfilter and a T plus a reduction to flush the hot fuel out of the enginebay.

Also check your Ignition/Timing and if your carbs still have the temperature blocks under the manifold.

Not to forget the preheating system if the flaps are shut.

Grüsse
Old 06-15-2001, 12:02 AM
The912guy
7th Gear

Lightbulb

Norm-JC Whitney has the exact same Facet pump for about $35.....or pick up a copy of "Hot VW's" magazine (yeah, I know, corny name, but tons of ads for parts!) and find a VW aftermarket parts supplier who has them even cheaper.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:42 PM
Paul
Advanced

Norm

We've had great success with the facet fuel pump in curing oddball fuel supply problems like yours. Although facet offers pumps of differing output pressure, it's still best to use a pressure regulator. The best of these that I've found is the Holley unit, set just about as low as it can go (at least for Webers).

Paul

Quick Reply: vapor locking