Oily problems and preheaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 06:58 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Oily problems and preheaters

Hello '12ers: thanks to Grusse for previous response - I didn't know you could get to the dials from the trunk!
Anyway, my Big Worry just now is that my '69 is still smoky despite thicker oil.(from 5w50 fully synth to 15w40) When I say smoky, I don't mean the odd whiff...there is always a puff of white smoke at the start of acceleration, but twice I've taken the car up to 95-100mph (when warmed up of course)with no problems until I slow down - then it smokes A LOT - driving through the next town cringeing, as my car fills the streets with white smoke..I have also noticed yellow 'Mayonaisse' under the oil filler cap - I thought that was a watercooled thing?The car allegedly is a recent 1720 rebuild, and so sholud be oiltight. I'm hoping its just the remnants of the old fully synth oil(I changed the filter, but didn't empty the filter bath).
My second question is more straightforward - the preheater hoses from the fan to the airintakes are absent - will replacing them make the car reach operating temp significantly quicker on cold Scottish days? - or are they more trouble than theyre worth. Hope someone can ease my troubled mind! Cheers, Johnny.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:01 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

The white, grey, yellow mayonese is normal and comes from the water condensatet inside the engine.

Your Oilsmoking isn´t normal and needs to be traked down. Some synthoils are to "slipy" for old engines greating higher consumption.

My route would be a leak down test and checking the valve guides for wear.

Not to forget is that most big bore kits are not a match up in technology and will higher oil consumption as well. Doesn´t matter as most people are seeking for power and are not bprdered about scrifices in noise or other issues.

The preheating system are for deicing the carburators and a must if you drive the car in cold weather especially cold and humid weather.

Mostly the thermostat will not work correct and they are very expensive.

The 912 has two different heating systems with different heat exchangers and carburator heat systems. The european have little hoses to a duct on the base from the Manifold and does only get opend or shut. The Export version have two big nozzles in the rear blowing up heatet air to the carb area.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: Oily problems and preheaters