Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

Newbie questions: eBay 912 comparo...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Stephen Porter
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newbie questions: eBay 912 comparo...

Hi,

(Note: I see that someone else just posted with a question about one of these car's originality! I'd also like to learn more about how to judge these cars and this was one of my candidates for a "comparo" here and on Pelican. I'll also try posting at the 912 Registry site.)

I'm starting to get an interest in 912's. They seem to be relatively affordable, nice-looking, fairly easy to work on and, from what I have seen so far, an enthusiastic, friendly and helpful user base. I still don't know much about them so I thought I might learn something by posting these two cars that are currently listed on eBay. They both look attractive to me, but I'm not really at a stage where I would feel confident in buying one. Maybe I can learn something here? All comments, advice appreciated.

The first one is a '66:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130149877122

What I like about this one is that it is claimed to be "all original" and pretty darn low mileage! It looks to be in nice shape! One question I know I have is what's the up/downside of the earlier cars. And of course how bad could that "small area" that needs attention be?

The spread between the opening bid and the "Buy It Now" price is small. I looked up the price in "Cars That Matter," and they say a "Condition 4" car is worth more than the Buy It Now price, but I'm not willing to plunk down $9K on a car until I know more about what I want, or IF I want a 912.

The second is a '69:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

I actually like the colors on this car. (What color is that??? Looks like the "Ochre" on the limited-edition 924S SE Le Man edition sold in Europe.) Mileage is also extraordinarily low and the car seems to have been well taken care of by a very knowledgeable car person (see his website). There's no "Buy It Now" price, and I have no idea what the reserve might be, so hard to do a direct comparison.

Looking forward to getting some feedback and learning something.

Quick Reply: Newbie questions: eBay 912 comparo...