Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Shasta Design web site????

What happened to it??
Old 04-11-2007, 03:43 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i dont know.. are you looking to have an engine built by duane? or just buying pistons? if youre thinking about having duane build you an engine, talk to me or jeff trask first, and we can tell you about our experiences.

if you want pistons, i suggest getting a set from classic and speed parts. Made by JE pistons (same place that makes shasta's pistons), but a more modern and efficent design -roughly the same price i believe too).

maybe Duane retired and closed up shop. if so, thats probably for the best.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:03 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Understood :-) no, I would always build my own engine. I was just looking to price hi comp. pistons and cyls.

Clearly you had a 'unique' experience.........
Old 04-12-2007, 10:39 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

several people have had similar unique experiences. Duane deep down isnt a bad guy, and he built me a heck of an engine. But i did have an issue with carbs when i stopped by to say hello when i was out in his area, (it caught on fire when i was out west in utah, on the way to california, a shop rebuilt them improperly, and it was running horrid). He just shruged his shulders and refused to even offer any assistance or advice, even though i just paid him about 8 grand for an engine rebuild (i would have gladly paid him to do anything he could, even buy another set of carbs off of him -i didnt expect anything for free).

i did have one complaint about the engine when i did get it.. the hoses for the full flow oil filter were too short to mount, and he refused to do anything about that. I had to buy another $150 worth of SS braded lines and an fittings.

Jeff Trask had Duane build his several years ago, and when he had it rebuilt by another mechanic recently (rebuilt it to get more power), it was found that the wrong valve keepers were used, as well as other shortcuts that could have been extremely costly.

I have no beef with him about the engine he built for me, it has proven to be a good one so far. BUt his customer service and patience lacks as he ages (so it seems). andi know oithers have not been happy either.

His pistons are awesome, but i would recomend also checking out classic and speed parts p&c set, as they are basically a redesigned shasta piston that is lighter, more efficent and just as durable. i cant remember cost..
Old 04-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Max Power
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about $800 for the JE pistons and $500 for cylinders

Quick Reply: Shasta Design web site????