Notices
912 Forum 1965-1969

'66 Rear Torsion hight setting and new bushing prep...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:48 AM
ejmetz
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '66 Rear Torsion hight setting and new bushing prep...

Hi All!

I'm starting to put my '66 912's rear suspension back together after powder coating and have a couple of questions...

1) Setting the torsion bar and spring plates -
I understand the whole theory about the inner and outer spline rotation in order to get the 50' minimum change and figure I need 7 splines inner and outer to lower the car just under 2", which is what I want to try.
HOWEVER - how do I get back to the original setting to start my 7 spline rotation once everything is apart??? I did kind of scribe the line of the plate on the chassis before removal, but it doesn't seem to be too clear now! Is there a clear way to get this back to factory setting without the nifty bubble tool?

2) Since I am installing all new bushings, is there anything I should use on the bushings before putting them in (my '66 bushings are not vulcanized to the spring plates). My trusty Floyd Clymer says to use a "rubber preserving glycerine paste, such as 'Conti-Fix Assembly Paste'." I also read somewhere that a silicone spray should work. Question is - do I need this and what is it for - assembly, preservation or lubrication?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Erich

Quick Reply: '66 Rear Torsion hight setting and new bushing prep...